Going back to 20 weight or sticking with 30?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I’m getting close to oil change on my Civic and can’t decide which route to go. I’m currently running 5w30 (did the UOA at 4500mi with good results) but have 0w20 sitting in the garage (and one quart of 0w30). With that said, i’m not sure if i should run that 20 i have already or order some 5w30. It is stupid hot these days in texas, so I am leaning towards 5w30. What do you guys think i should do? Potential Warranty issues don’t bother me.

I'd stick with what has been working for you, 5w30 and not look back. Especially if you aren't concerned about "potential warranty issues."

You'll have plenty of opportunity to use the 20 later on. Besides that 5w30 SS is arguably one of the best oils out there. Will serve you well in the Texas heat. Happy motoring !

Demarpaint is spot on.

Keep on doing what's working. You can use the 20 viscosity later on.

5W-30 ... better KV100 and HTHS, which gives more protection headroom in the heat.

Originally Posted By: demarpaint
I'd stick with what has been working for you, 5w30 and not look back. Especially if you aren't concerned about "potential warranty issues."

^^ This, stick with the 5W30

Originally Posted By: parshisa
I’m getting close to oil change on my Civic and can’t decide which route to go. I’m currently running 5w30 (did the UOA at 4500mi with good results) but have 0w20 sitting in the garage (and one quart of 0w30). With that said, i’m not sure if i should run that 20 i have already or order some 5w30. It is stupid hot these days in texas, so I am leaning towards 5w30. What do you guys think i should do? Potential Warranty issues don’t bother me.

Save the 20W for that one approx month of winter you have.
I hate that kind of Texas heat. So I would never offer you an exchange of your hottest summer months for our equal coldest months.
I love South Michigan all-seasons weather. But if I had a chance, I would like one less month of freezing temps.

Not terribly a lot of 0w20 supporters over here lol

Thanks y’all for the feedback. Case of 5w30 is one the way

Originally Posted By: barkingspider
Using oem oil weight will be fine. Personally I would use 10w30 in TX heat

thumbsup2.gif

I know we have this debate quite often but for most people there probably isn't that big of a difference in the longevity of your engine whether you run 5w20 or 5w30. That's because the viscosity of most 5w20s might be around 8.5 to 9cst at 100c while the viscosity of most 5w30s are 10 to 10.5, so they're not that far off really. I'm sticking with 5w20 in my Honda since I drive it rather gently anyways and the rest of the car will fall apart long before the 1.8L engine ever dies.

Originally Posted By: Patman
... for most people there probably isn't that big of a difference in the longevity of your engine whether you run 5w20 or 5w30. That's because the viscosity of most 5w20s might be around 8.5 to 9cst at 100c while the viscosity of most 5w30s are 10 to 10.5, so they're not that far off really. ...
Exactly! Those who rant about xW-20 being disastrously "water-thin," etc., yet are happy with xW-30 are confused, or else they're living on the edge of trouble with their xW-30.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back