Gear oil in a squeeze container

Status
Not open for further replies.
So what would everyone's thought be on gear oil coming in a squeeze container. One that you just take the top off, put the spout in the differential hole ans squeeze the fluid in. Would that be a good idea?

Originally Posted By: dlundblad
It's not the container that's the problem.. It's the location of the fill hole.

On my truck it would work fine since I can get up to the fill hole no problem. I'm sure other makes would be different but if you could attach a hose to the spout then that would be a plus.

If you get the round bottles they squeeze easy. Point them slightly down and add just enough tubing to get a path back up to the hole. With short bursts of oil and a gurgle of air the bottle goes empty in no time. Only the oil in the bottom of the tube remains, maybe a few ounces.

Originally Posted By: Rat407
So what would everyone's thought be on gear oil coming in a squeeze container.

What do you call the bottle it comes in now?

That sound they make. When all the lube is out of the bottle and the differential case acts as an amplification chamber... always makes someone in the shop laugh.

I started using a suction gun to do my diff filling. Way cleaner. I have 3. One for gear lube, one for power steering fluid, and one for brake fluid. Always hang them by the handle to let them drip out into my used oil bucket.

Last edited:
On both my trans and diff I use 4' of clear hose and a small funnel. Diff gets filled from an access hole in the trunk with it.

Originally Posted By: Rat407
….One that you just take the top off, put the spout in the differential hole ans squeeze the fluid in. Would that be a good idea?

It's the way I've done it on a Tacoma, works fine. As long as access permits bottle to empty and fill diff, no problem.

Very practical and makes changing the transaxle oil in my diesel a 10 minutes job
smile.gif

Same transaxle in the Barchettas but for space reason it doesn't work...so really access is the key.

Originally Posted By: dlundblad
It's not the container that's the problem.. It's the location of the fill hole.

I fix the problem like this:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back