Ford and LSPI

Status
Not open for further replies.
I see several car brands have some issues with LSPI but I don't hear much about Ford having this problem with the eccoboost motors is it an issue with the eccoboost motors or no?

It all seems to happen based on direct injection or port injection design, not manufacture that I am aware of.

If you do, you might want to consider a new flux capacitor.
wink.gif

No one is talkinag about the LSPI over here. Our thin oils like 0w-30 are api SL rated btw, you know higher zink.

Originally Posted By: Camprunner
I see several car brands have some issues with LSPI but I don't hear much about Ford having this problem with the eccoboost motors is it an issue with the eccoboost motors or no?

Ford's own Motorcraft oils have "high" calcium and lower magnesium levels compared to Dexos 1 Gen 2 oils anti LSPI oils. Either Ford has a better engine management set up to control LSPI, as an above poster posted or Ford figures it'll make it past the warranty before there is an "issue"
smirk.gif
. I hope it's the better engine management set up. I've been using Mobil 1 5w-30 which is Dexos 1 Gen 2 rated as well as meeting the Ford 5W-30 spec of WSS-M2C946-A, the best of both worlds for our Ecoboost
grin.gif
. And yes, there are other fine oils out there that meet both of these standards as well
11.gif

Whimsey

Originally Posted By: buck91
Haven't noticed any perceptible predetonation in my wife's ecoboost.

Is that ecoboost in a Ford Fission?

Ed

I’m active on a Ford truck forum and I can’t think of any LSPI problems being discussed in the past few years. Ford does seemed to have managed that problem correctly.

Originally Posted By: doyall
Has Motorcraft gone to the dark side:

https://www.fcsdchemicalsandlubricants.c...ory=Motor%20Oil

"... This oil also meets WSS-M2C946-B1, dexos®1 GEN 2 and SN PLUS, therefore it can reduce oil derived low speed pre-ignition

Approved to service General Motors vehicles where this viscosity is recommended. (dexos 1 GEN 2 oils also meet WSS-M2C946-B1. Oils labeled WSS-M2C946-A do not meet dexos 1 GEN 2)

..."

It appears that is only for the "full synthetic" Motorcraft 5W-30. Their 5W-30 synthetic blend is not Dexos 1 Gen 2 but SN+. At best guess what Motorcraft 5W-30 oil the dealer will use for an change? Yepper, the synthetic blend unless you request and pay the premium up charge for the "full synthetic" Motorcraft. And there is a good chance the dealer may just use the cheapest conventional oil that meets the Ford spec and not even use the Motorcraft synthetic blend which is SN+.

Whimsey

never looked much but carbon seems not an issue as well with their DI engines!!!

Bought a totally loaded 2015 Fusion Titanium in May of this year at a local high volume used car dealership. 52,000 miles on the odometer. Oil change done at dealer. Oil change at 57,000 miles at Quick Lane at local Ford dealer. I had checked the oil several times between 52,000 and 57,000 to make sure I hadn't bought an oil burner. At one point between 52,000 and 57,000, accelerating onto a local highway and in a low engine speed, high torque situation, I heard a loud bang. I thought it was probably the waste gate or blow off valve on the turbo. This is my first turbocharged car. At ~59,700 miles, on the highway, I was hearing some noises, so when I got home, I checked the oil. Down 3 1/2 quarts. Added to full and drove the car 40 miles the next day. Down a quart. Did my homework and suspected an lspi incident or incidents had damaged a piston Took it to the local Ford dealer with 59,855 miles on the odometer. Power Train Warranty, as you all know, is 5yrs/60,000 miles. Took three days to get a diagnosis since I didn't have an appointment. Service advisor called me and said the turbo was messed up and they would replace under warranty. I stayed quiet. Two weeks later, she called me again and said it wasn't the turbo (which had been replaced) and that I was right, it had a broken piston and "other engine damage." "You are getting a whole new engine under warranty." (I have had a brand new loaner Focus at no charge since the day of the diagnosis.) Service advisor called early last week and said more parts were needed, so the car would not be ready until Friday (Nov. 15). Tech called me on Friday and said the wrong parts came. "Car will be ready on Tuesday. (Nov. 20,), six weeks and a day since i dropped it off. Anybody know if the new engine will be warranted by Ford for another 5 yrs/60,000?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back