toyota dealers charge tfor prius battery

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: edwardh1
the big battery
parts and labor?

Your the last person who'd own a Prius, so whats your question?

Big battery likely = the one that is very very expensive. Aka $3000 plus labor. Or a reman for less but still likely $1500 plus labor.

I could be wrong...

There are "How tos" out on the Internet on how to replace them. You can buy refurbished battery packs from companies that specialize in rebuilding them. There are owners who have replaced them and did the work on their own. You do need to be careful tho.

Last edited:
I replied to you in my other thread.

The Gen 2 (04-09) list for $1950.
The Gen 3 (10-15) list for $2729.

The dealer usually gets 4 hours for the swap on customer pay plus an additional hour for the initial diagnosis. Hourly labor rate is $150-$180/hr out here.

Originally Posted By: CKN
There are "How tos" out on the Internet on how to replace them. You can buy refurbished battery packs from companies that specialize in rebuilding them. There are owners who have replaced them and did the work on their own. You do need to be careful tho.

As time goes on, folks are finding the rebuilt ones are not a viable long term solution. The used cells in the packs are often deteriorated, so the rebuilt pack usually lasts 1-2 years.

Originally Posted By: The Critic
Originally Posted By: CKN

As time goes on, folks are finding the rebuilt ones are not a viable long term solution. The used cells in the packs are often deteriorated, so the rebuilt pack usually lasts 1-2 years.

I have never done one but I can see that, it seems OE new is the way to go.

yes maybe like new with oem, vs used.
so at say 200,000 miles $3500 for a new engine, like a transmission redo on a "regular" car

Last edited:
Individual cell replacement only works if you are planning to fixer upper and then sell it quick. It is not worth the labor going through a high voltage pack just to extend it a couple of years.

If you are keeping it for another 5-10 years, a pack with all new cell is the better choice. Otherwise a junkyard pack from a later year car may be reasonable (collision total on the front, 3-5 years newer, for example).

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back