Whats in Your Roadside Motorcycle Tire Repair Kit?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I bought a Safety Seal tire plug kit, they are a sticky nylon yarn style plug. I have a Harley Davidson air pump with the SAE style connector, yes I paid more the pump than it is worth but it comes with the style of connector I wanted to connect it directly to the battery.

The Safety Seal tire plug kits are very well put together and the soft bag kit I bought even comes with two razor blades to cut off the end of the plug after installing it. A nice small kit that has everything you need.

https://safetyseal.com/catalog/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1_2&products_id=77

I carry my cell phone and my AAA card. My bike has spooked wheels and tubes in the tires. Any nail or screw requires the wheel to be removed, the tube removed and more likely then not , an new tube. You ain't gonna do that on the side of the road.,,,

Originally Posted By: gman2304
My Superglide has spoked wheels with tubed tires. I’m pretty much out of luck except for my AAA card.

Many years ago I had a metric bike with spokes and for the heck of it I always carried a can of "Fix A Flat" if for no other reason, if I was out in the middle of nowhere or really anyplace with a slow leak or possibly just a small pin hole, I could use the Fix A Flat to re-inflate the tire and hopefully slowly make my way to a shop, motel or home.
I figured trying it would be better then nothing before giving up hope and having to call for help, as that can take a long time. It is for this reason though, I will not buy a bike with spokes anymore even though its extremely rare to get a flat.

Originally Posted By: EdwardC
Unfortunately, I don't go on long rides much. I'm mostly commuting to and from work, which is about 6 miles each way, so I don't carry anything. I do have Ride-On sealant in both tires though (this was partially because I replaced the tires on myself and wanted to use the Ride-On for dynamic balancing).

I have a small patch kit which uses the sticky rubber worms, with the reamer and insertion tool and a small 12V inflator for longer trips.

That's really all you need to get you home.

Now on 100 horse sport bikes, where that power tends to get used accordingly, my experience, temp plugs, whether worms, Mushrooms ect, don't last long, I eat them up fairly quickly. So I break down the tire and patch on the inside, 100% reliable that way.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: alarmguy
Originally Posted By: gman2304
My Superglide has spoked wheels with tubed tires. I’m pretty much out of luck except for my AAA card.

Many years ago I had a metric bike with spokes and for the heck of it I always carried a can of "Fix A Flat" if for no other reason, if I was out in the middle of nowhere or really anyplace with a slow leak or possibly just a small pin hole, I could use the Fix A Flat to re-inflate the tire and hopefully slowly make my way to a shop, motel or home.
I figured trying it would be better then nothing before giving up hope and having to call for help, as that can take a long time. It is for this reason though, I will not buy a bike with spokes anymore even though its extremely rare to get a flat.

I agree, when talking 500lb+ bikes, spokes are not the way, but when dealing with light weight dirtable bikes under 300 lbs, spokes are really the only option, and fix a flat is not a good answer either, cause many times a nail will do more than one hole, and the fix of flat may last a mile, and just squish out.

Ive rode many of rear flats home on light weight bikes, but I had a front flat, and the tire was so out of control, you couldn't even push the bike, so now Im into ZIP tyes, yeah multiple large zip ties around the wheel.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: LoneRanger
I've been riding w/o a tire repair kit since I got the new Guzzi late last summer. Need to get another one together. My previous kit which mysteriously disappeared when the Ducati was towed after the wreck contained sticky ropes, sticky rope tool, Leatherman multitool, head mountable LED light for night time, Aerostich mini compressor, and couple other things I forget at the moment.

What's in your kit?

I have spoked wheels and tubes. My repair kit is a cell phoned and Good sam'a telephoned number. Fortunately, I have not had to use it.

Originally Posted By: CarllT100
I have spoked wheels and tubes. My repair kit is a cell phoned and Good sam'a telephoned number. Fortunately, I have not had to use it.

I've had a flats where I had no cell reception. One on a bike, one in a car. And if I had it would have been a long wait for help. The car flat wasn't repairable (tear in sidewall). The bike was easily plugged.

A recent flat was under the hot sun in remote eastern Oregon. I think I did have cell reception (I think I texted my buddy who was ahead of me), but I'm sure glad I didn't have to wait for help to arrive (I doubt it would have been quick). And I can't tell you how glad I was that I wasn't trying to patch a tube there either. If I had a tube, what good would a tow do if I'm on a road trip like that? I still gotta patch or replace the tube. I don't want to count on finding someone who will do it for me. If I'm local, I get it. I can have it taken home, and get to it when I get to it, or even take the wheel to a local shop at my convenience.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back