Royal Purple SAE 30 Synthetic

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyone using Royal Purple SAE 30 Synthetic? Unless I am mistaken, it is the only monograde SAE 30 Synthetic on the market (they also offer SAE 40 and 50). I don’t remember seeing this oil available when I checked for synthetic generator oil a few years ago. Seems like it would be ideal for small air cooled engines used in the southern tier. Thoughts?

http://www.royalpurpleconsumer.com/products/royal-purple-motor-oil/

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: simple_gifts
OT:Amsoil makes a synthetic 30 weight (ACD)

Could you send me a link to that oil. Amsoil Small Engine Oil used to be labeled 10W-30/30. Now it is labeled 10W-30. Amsoil says it is the same formula but they had to change the label because of "labeling requirements." What??

I've thought about using the 40 weight partiallty in a bike during the summer, but synthetic 20w50 exists on the market and is more available.

Originally Posted By: SilverSnake

Could you send me a link to that oil. Amsoil Small Engine Oil used to be labeled 10W-30/30. Now it is labeled 10W-30. Amsoil says it is the same formula but they had to change the label because of "labeling requirements." What??

If you are going to use the SAE standards in your labeling you must label the viscosity grade accordingly. That means you must label the winter weight as the lowest grade the oil meets. For instance, if you have a 10W-50 engine oil, it technically will also meet the 20W-50 minimum specifications, but you are not allowed to label it as a 20W-50 according to the SAE rules. This would also apply for monograde oils as well.

I have my doubts that many monograde oils wouldn't meet the 25W spec at least, but it is up to the company to comply and the SAE to enforce.

And likewise, people have commented on here before that if the RP is synthetic then it's highly unlikely it isn't a 10W-30 if it were labeled properly.

Originally Posted By: MotoTribologist
If you are going to use the SAE standards in your labeling you must label the viscosity grade accordingly. That means you must label the winter weight as the lowest grade the oil meets. For instance, if you have a 10W-50 engine oil, it technically will also meet the 20W-50 minimum specifications, but you are not allowed to label it as a 20W-50 according to the SAE rules. This would also apply for monograde oils as well.

I have my doubts that many monograde oils wouldn't meet the 25W spec at least, but it is up to the company to comply and the SAE to enforce.

https://www.amsoil.com/shop/by-product/m...duty-motor-oil/

It doesn't matter that it is labelled 10w-30 as indicated above. It is VII free

Quote:

SAE 10W-30 performance without VI improvers

I suspect by using a synthetic base stock you are going to get the 10w part whether you like it or not.

If this is the case, then why is this Amsoil Heavy Duty Diesel Oil labeled as a 10W-30/30?

Last edited:
Very possible simple gifts..

Don't know I'd try to test the hypothesis in 5°F or colder weather.

If this is the case, then why is this Amsoil Heavy Duty Diesel Oil labeled as a 10W-30/30?

Because they are not following the rule. That or maybe they know of a loophole that allows them to do so.

I just tried finding the reference I had for that and I can't seem to find it. I could've sworn that was the case, but I could certainly be remembering it wrong.

OK so I have been using Amsoil Small Engine 10W-30/30 in my Generac 20 KW whole house generator for almost 10 years with no issues. The book says to use SAE 10W-30 from -10F to 40F, and to use SAE 30 from 32F to 100F+. As I said above, Amsoil claims their small engine oil is exactly the same formula despite the label change to 10W-30. Based on past successful use I am inclined to stay with Amsoil although it would seem that the Royal Purple SAE 30 is a better choice on paper for down here in South FL. Which would you oil experts go with??

Last edited:

Because although it is a Newtonian fluid it meets the cold-cranking and pumpability requirements for 10W. Amsoil's labeling as "10W-30/30" is not an API designation. Even the exact way they denote it (10W-30/SAE 30) is a bit ambiguous but since the product is not an API oil, so they can label it however they want. Same with the RP product.

Originally Posted By: hatt
Sierra sells a syn SAE 30 for the marine market.

Have Royal Purple HPM 10w30 in my outbound … NMMA FC-W and don’t think they make it anymore …

OK so I have been using Amsoil Small Engine 10W-30/30 in my Generac 20 KW whole house generator for almost 10 years with no issues. The book says to use SAE 10W-30 from -10F to 40F, and to use SAE 30 from 32F to 100F+. As I said above, Amsoil claims their small engine oil is exactly the same formula despite the label change to 10W-30. Based on past successful use I am inclined to stay with Amsoil although it would seem that the Royal Purple SAE 30 is a better choice on paper for down here in South FL. Which would you oil experts go with??

A 5 or 15w-40 HDEO

Rotella T6 5w-40 would do nicely.

I’m actually running M1 HM 10w-30 in all my OPE. It’s A3/B3 with HTHS of 3.5

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: SilverFusion2010

A 5 or 15w-40 HDEO. Rotella T6 5w-40 would do nicely. I’m actually running M1 HM 10w-30 in all my OPE. It’s A3/B3 with HTHS of 3.5

Thanks for the suggestions. I am surprised nobody seems to be using a mono synthetic in their generators.

Last edited:

Well it took a while to tally up all the votes but I came up with "0" for the Amsoil and "0" for the Royal Purple. Feel free to check my math. I decided to give the Royal Purple a try at the next oil change.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back