Grits

Status
Not open for further replies.
Seems like everyone so far loves grits. Makes me wonder if people that don't like grits just skip over the thread or if this website attracts grits lovers somehow
crackmeup2.gif

Gotta love grits with a bit of lard: scenes like this make a mediocre movie priceless.

I thought the white grits that seem to be more common in the US were made from hominy...I know that's just corn processed with an alkali, but I thought real grits just had to be made from hominy.
Never heard of hominy until a good friend of mine who grew up on a farm in MO served them to me...I liked them, but it took me a while to figure out that they were really corn. I thought it was a new grain I'd never heard of...

Originally Posted By: Virtus_Probi
I thought the white grits that seem to be more common in the US were made from hominy...I know that's just corn processed with an alkali, but I thought real grits just had to be made from hominy.
Never heard of hominy until a good friend of mine who grew up on a farm in MO served them to me...I liked them, but it took me a while to figure out that they were really corn. I thought it was a new grain I'd never heard of...
My dad would buy hominy. I haven't had that in probably 30 years.

Hominy is how the pioneers stored corn. Soaking dried kernels in lye made from wood ashes and water. Destroyed anything that would spoil. A guy I mispent my youth with discovered grits and Cajun culture whilst attending LSU. He loved grits and eggs. When I had my first breakfast in Boone NC, I ordered grits just to try them. Anything tastes better with Tabasco. Back home, I went from Quaker white grits to yellow grits AKA polenta. I like 'em. The Italians pretty much use it just as they would pasta. How could that be bad?
grin2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back