Leather treatment and frequency

Status
Not open for further replies.
ALL leather is coated somehow,or it would ruin simply by being in the open air. You also have to consider the stitching as well. A dedicated leather product will preserve and protect the stitching. That’s why you see 20 year old cars with perfect leather vs 2 year old cars with destroyed leather. The 20 year old car’s leather was properly taken care of.

Pecards Is one of the best. They make product for coated and uncoated leather. They advertise their leather lotion that is somehow penetrates the coating to get down to the leather. Not sure about that but it does keep the leather at its best. They have been in business for over 100 years I think.

What I tell my customers, keeping the leather clean is more important than anything you put on it. I use Leathermasters as they have specific products for coated, and uncoated leather. Lexol for automotive leather is horrible, but this is just my opinion.

irv : You state Woolite 10 - 1 while video (Dallas guy) says 5 -1 ratio - which is correct ? Also after cleaning coated leather seats (i.e. Hyundai Sonata LTD.) do you apply any type of protection (UV) product ?

Originally Posted By: ChrisD46
irv : You state Woolite 10 - 1 while video (Dallas guy) says 5 -1 ratio - which is correct ? Also after cleaning coated leather seats (i.e. Hyundai Sonata LTD.) do you apply any type of protection (UV) product ?

I think the choice is really yours. I have always used 10 to 1 based on what I was told/read years ago, and in the info I provided, I believe that person also suggested 10 to 1?

The more Woolite the stronger the solution, obviously, so I guess it depends on how dirty your seats are and how much you pull up while wiping/cleaning them?

10 to 1 has worked for me but I have never owned a vehicle where the leather has been really dirty.
You could try 5 to 1 then mist with just water after to ensure you have removed all of the Woolite.

Last edited:

It will also depend on which Woolite you use, we have used Woolite, but the pink cap version for delicates, if you use HE (High Efficiency), the dilution ratio will change.

irv : Do you apply any protection (UV) product after cleaning with Woolite ?
Originally Posted By: FastEddie

It will also depend on which Woolite you use, we have used Woolite, but the pink cap version for delicates, if you use HE (High Efficiency), the dilution ratio will change.

ChrisD46 said:
FastEddie said:
Chris, I haven't as I think most car leather is better suited/protected against sun exposure than house furniture, but I'll let the more educated or pro detailers answer that for you. (I am looking forward to reading those as well)

Any vehicle that I have owned, with or without leather, I have always had my windows tinted, which, imo, is a huge help when it comes to sun exposure.
With my wife's Impala and her leather seats, I got all the windows tinted shortly after we purchased it last November. I also suggest to her, if she can, to park the car facing the north where it receives the least amount of sunlight through the front windshield.
She also has a silver sun guard/shade for the front window but like me, I find those a PIA most times.

Originally Posted By: irv
Any vehicle that I have owned, with or without leather, I have always had my windows tinted, which, imo, is a huge help when it comes to sun exposure.
With my wife's Impala and her leather seats, I got all the windows tinted shortly after we purchased it last November.

Tinting can create its own problems and likely is a limited solution.

Several states in the U.S. have stiff fines for tinting windows beyond Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standard 205...some standards vary by state...while some states outright prohibit any tinting beyond manufacturer levels.

Canada Provinces also have standards limiting tinting. In SASKATCHEWAN - after-market tint films or coatings cannot be applied to the windshield or front side windows.

While some of the state-specific laws are not current...here's a good source outlining the various limits for U.S. and Canada:

Tinting regulations

Leather and even several man-made simulated leathers will eventually be impacted by UV. There are plenty of products to reduce/prevent the impact of UV.

As for using Woolite...I would never use it on leather or simulated leather unless it was highly diluted (10-to-1) - that stuff dissolves a number of car care wax/sealant products when mixed with hot water (which is a good thing if you're trying to cleanse microfiber towels used in detailing)...so it sure won't do good things to leather/simulated leather in low or no concentrations.

FastEddie said:
I generally will always use some form of "protectant", rarely any conditioners. But being in this industry, and having talked to many manufactures about UV protection, it is one of the most overly inflated claims in this industry. My brother has an 2002 Toyota Solara, the best part of the car is the leather seats, because they look great, are cleaned regularly, and have never had anything put on them. Do they look new or "mint", heck no, it is an 02 and the only day anything in automobiles looks new is the day it was bought....unless it isn't driven and parked in a climate controlled bubble.

Originally Posted By: FastEddie
FastEddie said:
I generally will always use some form of "protectant", rarely any conditioners. But being in this industry, and having talked to many manufactures about UV protection, it is one of the most overly inflated claims in this industry. My brother has an 2002 Toyota Solara, the best part of the car is the leather seats, because they look great, are cleaned regularly, and have never had anything put on them. Do they look new or "mint", heck no, it is an 02 and the only day anything in automobiles looks new is the day it was bought....unless it isn't driven and parked in a climate controlled bubble.

The Mercedes E class I sold a few months back specifically stated in the owners manual NOT to use conventional cleaners on the leather, as it could lead to the material drying out and eventually cracking. After 18 years and only mild cleaning and also conditioning...those seats still looked great.

As you mentioned...doing a separate conditioning process isn't necessary...as a good cleaner/protectant typically already contains conditioners.

Originally Posted By: HYUNDAIFAN0001
With my wife's Impala and her leather seats, I got all the windows tinted shortly after we purchased it last November.

Tinting can create its own problems and likely is a limited solution.

Several states in the U.S. have stiff fines for tinting windows beyond Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standard 205...some standards vary by state...while some states outright prohibit any tinting beyond manufacturer levels.

Canada Provinces also have standards limiting tinting. In SASKATCHEWAN - after-market tint films or coatings cannot be applied to the windshield or front side windows.

While some of the state-specific laws are not current...here's a good source outlining the various limits for U.S. and Canada:

Tinting regulations

Leather and even several man-made simulated leathers will eventually be impacted by UV. There are plenty of products to reduce/prevent the impact of UV.

As for using Woolite...I would never use it on leather or simulated leather unless it was highly diluted (10-to-1) - that stuff dissolves a number of car care wax/sealant products when mixed with hot water (which is a good thing if you're trying to cleanse microfiber towels used in detailing)...so it sure won't do good things to leather/simulated leather in low or no concentrations.

Tinting laws here in Ontario have always been in place but never enforced unless the windows are way too dark. Common sense should be used. I can assume, if the police had to, they would use those laws against you depending on the circumstances/situation?

As far as using Woolite goes, many have been using it for years and years without issue. Comparing cleaning/wiping your coated leather seats and the like is not the same as using it to clean Microfiber/Terry towels. Those are not protected/coated like auto seats are, obviously.
Would I use it on uncoated/pure leather? Not a chance, but using it as recommended, no problem. Some in the article below use it at a 6 to 1 ratio and the guy in the vid I posted who is very very knowledgeable detailer uses it at 5 to 1.
https://www.autopia.org/forums/car-detailing/80268-woolite-safe-leather.html

Tinting laws here in Ontario have always been in place but never enforced unless the windows are way too dark. Common sense should be used. I can assume, if the police had to, they would use those laws against you depending on the circumstances/situation?

Being lucky so far as to escape prosecution isn't a justification.

As for "common sense"...that includes not messing with the tinting in the first place.

There is law enforcement in some U.S. states that actually have devices with them that can measure tinting density. Rest assured...three are also plenty of tickets written for that violation. In our state...violation of the law by either driving a vehicle with illegal window tint or installing the illegal material is a misdemeanor and punishable by a fine up to $1,000 and/or up to 12 months imprisonment. Serious business.

Being lucky so far as to escape prosecution isn't a justification.

As for "common sense"...that includes not messing with the tinting in the first place.

There is law enforcement in some U.S. states that actually have devices with them that can measure tinting density. Rest assured...three are also plenty of tickets written for that violation. In our state...violation of the law by either driving a vehicle with illegal window tint or installing the illegal material is a misdemeanor and punishable by a fine up to $1,000 and/or up to 12 months imprisonment. Serious business.

Well, I'm glad I don't live in some of those states.
08.gif

Well, I'm glad I don't live in some of those states.
08.gif

Well some of us are glad we do ...as the criminals often use the tinting to hide their identity while evading police detection (which is why the laws were passed in the first place)...in contrast to UV protection purposes.

Well it looks like Woolite @ 10:1 ratio with distilled water is a good coated leather cleaning option followed by a warm water microfiber towel followed by a safe protectant (if I can find one safe for coated leather seats found in non - luxury or high end vehicles) .

**Good protectant after cleaning ??

Well it looks like Woolite @ 10:1 ratio with distilled water is a good coated leather cleaning option followed by a warm water microfiber towel followed by a safe protectant (if I can find one safe for coated leather seats found in non - luxury or high end vehicles) .

Trav turned me onto this. I've been using it a few years now. I like the look of it.

https://www.amazon.com/Mothers-06524-VLR-VinylLeatherRubber-Care/dp/B004N63S9W

Originally Posted By: demarpaint

Trav turned me onto this. I've been using it a few years now. I like the look of it.

Thanks for sharing

Originally Posted By: demarpaint

Thanks for sharing

thumbsup2.gif

FWIW, This is what I use at my shop for all coated leather. Very safe and highly effective from a company that specializes in....leather.
https://www.amazon.com/Leather-Masters-Protection-Cream/dp/B004W417F2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back