49 years ago today....

Status
Not open for further replies.

pbm

Neil Armstrong became the first man to walk on the moon.
I was an 11 y/o boy flying to Europe with my grandma (on PanAm Airlines) when the pilot announced that "The U.S. has just landed on the moon"....the whole plane clapped.
I remember a little while later, my (contrary) grandma complaining to the stewardess that her 'Daiquiri' didn't taste right....I was embarrassed....it's funny what you remember....

I was at a Boy Scout camp in NW Pa. They brought in a TV and rigged an antenna so we could watch it happen. Real late, guys having trouble staying awake. Nothing like watching history being made, don't get many of those moments. Thanks for posting.

I wasn't born yet haha. My mom and both of her parents worked for Boeing at Cape Canaveral on the Saturn V program. By the time Apollo 11 happened they had moved to Santa Barbara where my grandparents worked for Aero Spacelines making the Guppy and my mom worked at Raytheon. My mom would tell me about watching the landing. She was at the Phillips 66 gas station her boyfriend worked at and some people pulled up to get gas. He walked out and told them to either pump it themselves or come watch the moon landing with them.

Speaking of space travel,our high school always assembled in the auditorium to watch the shuttle launches. It was 1986 when I was in the 10th grade and we assembled to watch the launch. Suddenly it exploded. The silence in the room was deafening. I remember all the girls started crying. No one even uttered a single word.

All us kids in the neighborhood went to one friends house because they had a color television. The rest of us had black and white.

Little did we know......

Would have been amazing to experience, that's for sure. I can't imagine when and if we end up on Mars in the future!

Even cooler considering I'm directly involved with the development of the rocket that will do it hopefully (SLS)! So I hope I get to see/experience it's success at some point.

Last edited:
I wish it were 1969 and I was 17-3/4 years-old all over again. Boy-oh-boy, what I know now compared to then is incredible. I would do things a-lot differently today. Go on a completely different path of life into the future.

pbm, I was also 11 years years old and remember the flight and it's history well!

Neil Armstong
Buzz Aldrin
Michael Collins

I wasn't around yet either. If space technology moved at the same pace it did in the 60's, we'd been to Mars and back by now.

I had fallen asleep in front of the big console and was woken up a few minutes before his first step. I was almost eight yo and had my favorite toy in hand, a Major Matt Mason action figure. Like it was yesterday.

I was going on 8 years old too and it's one of those things that creates a big impression with the "where were you when" tag attached to it. I remember my mom buying me a commemorative moon landing glass that I still have after all these years. We lost mom the end of last year and the glass is more poignant now when I look at it.

I was in basic trainning at fort Benning Georgia. DI'S brought out a little 12 inch black and white television with a long extension cord. Set it up outside and made the whole company fall out and watch.

I was in the Marine Corps in Chu Lai South Vietnam.
I listened to it on the radio.
What impressed me was that would could fight this large war and still put a man on the moon.
We must have had a lot of money back then.

Well I started her because I heard all of the horror stories of the "wrong" oil when it was a teen in the late 80s. You have to use this oil or it will sludge up. use that thickness or you will throw a rod. etc.

Stayed confused and picked one well known brand (PYB) changed a 3000 miles and stuck with it. Still didn't know if it was using the RIGHT oil. When I bought my first brand new vehicle, M1 synthetic was all the rage but it was fairly new and expensive. Looking at the local forums for that vehicle there were many references to BITOG. I thought it was a member name until I googled it and found this site.

It took a while to come to the realization that since the late 90s. There are not brand name or established store brand oils that have the API rating for my car that are BAD. Changed properly, any of those oils would see the engine well beyond 100K miles. even 200K miles.

Now why do i stay. Just to catch the new fellows that wander in here like I did years ago and give some practical advice. Also to find the deals on oil that are available that allow me to get synthetic oil for cheaper than conventional.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back