Using sealed 2013 Pennzoil Ultra 0w-40 in new [censored]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Greggy_D
Originally Posted By: SilverSnake
Lets see. You spent a fortune on one of the most awesome performance cars ever made and you want to save a few pennies buying old oil from an unknown individual. I would not put it in my Scat Pack that is for sure. However, I am certain most of the people on this site will tell you to run it. To many on this site, the most important aspect of automotive maintenance is saving money on oil.

Wrong.

Agree.

I apologize for not providing the backstory. The 6.2 Hemi calls for Chrysler approved spec 0w-40, Pennzoil Ultra Platinum 0w-40. Over the years I've ran across some Pennzoil Ultra 0w-40 UOAs which were really good (most likely high PAO content). I purposely jumped on the opportunity to buy this old stock because of said UOAs. Just had a momentary "is this oil too old to run" concern. This wasn't a cost saving maneuver at all. I plan on getting a sample for UOA on factory fill and haven't completely decided on running the Ultra 0w-40 (old stock) yet. I have 7 oil changes to use at dealership using Pennzoil Ultra Platinum 0w-40, so might save old stock for top offs. I know a lot of this is speculation and I appreciate everyone's earnest advice, as always.

Pennzoil Ultra Platinum = Current product

Pennzoil Ultra = Old stock

Last edited:
Use it and keep the empty bottles as proof you used the correct oil.

When was the last time someone posted on here that their warranty was denied due to an oil related issue? Just curious.

Exactly and if your worried about it buy new oil and filter then mix old and new of the same exact oil so you have a receipt

If it were me I would just run the stuff

Originally Posted By: Rat407
When was the last time someone posted on here that their warranty was denied due to an oil related issue? Just curious.
On the twelfth...OF NEVER!

Originally Posted By: mbacfp
Not trying to save money...this is supposed to be the good stuff (high PAO).

Pretty sure this uses the older Shell slack wax UHVI base stock (pre GTL - pure plus)

Regards
Jordan

Originally Posted By: 2015_PSD
Originally Posted By: Rat407
On the twelfth...OF NEVER!

Exactly!

The 12th of Never falls in the same calendar year as February 30th.
My (2) 0W40s from Amazon is arriving today. Is it wrong to be excited about this?
I hope it gets to my front door before the wife returns from work.
Please, nobody tell her. She thinks my stash is already too ridiculous.

A couple of posts are funny. Use the oil shake it well if you like 5 year oil in its orginal sealed container is good to use.

The OEM will not deny a warranty claim unless there is obvious signs of neglect.

Yes good to use if the seals are tight on the bottles, which it sounds like they are fine here.
Shake well before opening. Some moly and calcium detergents might have settled out.

Like many have said,shake and pour.
Man,the things people worry about.
I don't know how some of you make it through the day when real problems pop up.
I didn't realize ocd was so rampant.

Originally Posted by Dallas69
Like many have said,shake and pour.
Man,the things people worry about.
I don't know how some of you make it through the day when real problems pop up.
I didn't realize ocd was so rampant.

This!
thumbsup2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back