Does owning an old car & hoarding go hand in hand?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: eljefino
I'm still hoarding saturn s-series parts. Drum brake backing plates are impossible to get now.

Are these Saturn specific or would a Sunfire/ Caviler work as well? If you find yourself needing some, let me know and Ill see what I can do.

I know for a fact my go to place has a somewhat new to them Sunfire because I had looked for an old co worker. They did have a bunch of Chevy, Pontiac, Saturns, but he was talking about scrapping a bunch too because they were worth more as scrap sadly.

1998 4Runner. Despite being close to 20 years old, OEM and aftermarket parts are readily available. No need to hoard. I might get various small items like fuses, clamps, lug nuts from the junkyard when I go, but otherwise all the parts that I am hoarding on this vehicle fits inside a small box.

Deep down we all want to be Jay Lenno but only keep what we can afford.

My minor case of hoarding has more to do with poor resale value at the moment and figuring I might as well drive a fully functional car less often (when it’s the right tool) rather then sell if for scrap value.

What is the deal lately that car max will pay more for a 80-100k mid to late 2000’scar than private party?
Seems to be a theme in flyover country.

If it’s not a Jeep or a diesel it’s only worth $500, doesn’t matter what kbb or nada says.

I own two older cars from the '80s that have very little aftermarket support.

I watch Rockauto weekly for parts. When a part gets very low on inventory and you have no or not much brand choices, even if my cars don't immediately need it I'll order it just in case mine breaks.

However, some parts are very specific and were never replicated by any third party. That's much harder to get. Facebook groups, swap meets and ebay are needed in that case. On very rare occasions, one pops up in a local junkyard but these cars are way past their prime so very few are left. I have quite a few "just in case" parts in my garage, but I only have one of each.

The best is parts cars. Cars that people sell for cheap since they don't work anymore or aren't roadworthy. Some specific parts may still be good.

Originally Posted By: dlundblad
I'm still hoarding saturn s-series parts. Drum brake backing plates are impossible to get now.

Are these Saturn specific or would a Sunfire/ Caviler work as well? If you find yourself needing some, let me know and Ill see what I can do.

I imagine if those worked there wouldn't be a shortage and they'd still show up on rockauto.

I'm brewing a travesty as we speak-- sunfire rims on my Prius.
lol.gif

While killing time this morning, I went over to the Blazer Forum, which I hardly frequent now, but there was a recent thread about the same issue I was having. 1997 Blazer too.

Somebody posted a link to GMPartsGiant and they had 2 of the 3 actuators needed.. the 3rd one being discontinued, but ironically the one I already had from last year. Wow.. What are the chances?

We are still going junkyarding this morning to try to find some used ones, but it's nice knowing there's a plan B.

Originally Posted By: dlundblad

I imagine if those worked there wouldn't be a shortage and they'd still show up on rockauto.

I'm brewing a travesty as we speak-- sunfire rims on my Prius.
lol.gif

Sounds like a babe magnet for sure.

I can still check out the Sunfires for you just because I am a nice guy.

Bought 2 sets of actuators and my seat. $40.

El Jeff, Zero Saturns.

*Just saw I mentioned Pontiacs in my previous post. I did indeed ask about Saturns.

Last edited:
Yes.

I used to be big in to parting and flipping cars. Mostly A and B body mopars but some GM stuff. I have crates full of starters/alternators and other misc universal stuff that I will most likely never use.

I got a parts car for my T/A to pull the 5speed parts out to convert mine. I kept lots of interior parts and the glass and hatch JIK.
I do have a spare small block chivy/th350 and 318/a727 in stock
wink.gif

You might especially consider hoarding special ingnition parts, smaller sensor, ECU units and such things.
Those things get crazily expensive once the car gets older, trust me, I’m talking from experience...

same for me. sound reasoning never enters in to my process. i just bought some very old fram water filter assembles. and the element is NOT available . N.O.S. AND a fram KA-17 air filter housing. 2 bases, one lid. uses CA-140 PL element. N.O.S.

There's this rule in the MG community about not even throwing away parts you removed
smile.gif

As much as folks like to make Lucas jokes about any British car, I buy new old stock "red box" Lucas electrical parts whenever I can find them, and also refurbish non-working switches rather than replace them whenever I can. Almost every part is available new, but most are junk.

In the nearly 40 years I have owned my Valiant I have seen the parts in junkyards dry up in the early 90s and then once the internet became widespread, very few problems.

Additionally, it has surprised me that so many reproduction things for it are being made now.

But I still buy on eBay to add to my hoard.

Starting to do that for the Olds now as well.

Harder to find things for it than the Valiant.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back