2018 Hyundai Accent

Status
Not open for further replies.
Got a new 2018 Accent last week. Looking around to see what filters are available for it, air, cabin, oil. And there seems to be a lack of choices. Not ready to change any yet but does anyone have any good suggestions? Would I be ok sticking with Wix or do I need to use the Hyundai oil filters due to this knocking I have been reading about?

Regardless of vehicle make, many dealers tape the oil plug crush gasket to the filter box on the ready for the oil change techs. That is one advantage you may get from buying an oil filter at the dealer. Assuming Hyundai uses a crush gasket?

You can get OE oil filters w crush washers for about $6.00 on Ebay. Cabin filters I make my own, air filters OE on Ebay again at good prices. Is 5-30 an option for that motor in the manual?

The oem filter is a really good option on these.. thick can too

The oem crush washers are just aluminum washers that dont really crush much(unless they have new ones)

not like the subaru ones that are truly 1 use--hollow and crush down.

Use the Fram Ultra XP9688 if you want good filtering. I reuse the washers many times with no issues.

Has nothing to do with parts, but had an '18 rental Accent for a few days last month. Very pleasant car for a sub-compact, although I am sorry they dropped hatch availability. Think the Accent is ahead of the new Rio, which--styling wise at least-- appears to be a step backward from the previous car, although I'm sure there's similar under the skin improvements.

Also a bit jealous since the Accent had an instant mpg gauge, something my '17 Soul lacks.

Last edited:
Get OEM on Flebay by the 6 pack. The washers come with them . With Hyundai I wouldn’t use anything but OEM just because of their past practice of denying warranty claims until they got hit with a class action over those 2 and 2.4 Theta 2 engines. Save your receipts and log oil changes just in case.

I've seldom used OEM Hyun/Kia filters. I think if some of the reported filter problems came up, you'd certainly hear it on start up, if you ignored that kind of sound with any manufacturer you'd risk a warranty claim denial. Didn't Hyundai just get badly slapped for some of its ongoing Magnuson-Moss violations regarding parts and warranty claims?

Originally Posted By: zeke1985
Got a new 2018 Accent last week. Looking around to see what filters are available for it, air, cabin, oil. And there seems to be a lack of choices. Not ready to change any yet but does anyone have any good suggestions? Would I be ok sticking with Wix or do I need to use the Hyundai oil filters due to this knocking I have been reading about?

Stick with OEM and do oil changes according to the owners manual also.
Find out how much the dealer oil filter price is and who makes it. Then shop online for the same brand and buy a few.

Your new Accent probably doesn't use the same spin-on oil filter that my 2008 Santa Fe did, but I always like the blue OEM Hyundai/Kia oil filters. They were heavily constructed. Those suckers were a struggle to cut open and I have a nice oil filter cutter-opener.

You broke the bank already for that Hyundai Accent -- nothing but the best for that high performance machine!!!
shocked.gif

Originally Posted By: BAJA_05
You broke the bank already for that Hyundai Accent -- nothing but the best for that high performance machine!!!
shocked.gif

It's a brand new car, why would I not wanna take care of it?

I use Wix and Fram Ultras on everything else, but I use OEM filters on my Sonata. They're pretty well made, and when cut open they always look good.

Originally Posted By: SHOZ
Use the Fram Ultra XP9688 if you want good filtering. I reuse the washers many times with no issues.

I have one of those on my Sonata now. It makes more noise on start up than the OEM did. I'm going back to OEM on the next change.

Someone mentioned $6, I have found OEM filters on eBay as low as $4.20 each for a six pack.

You dont have to use the OE oil filter. Quality aftermarket oil filters such as WIX (including NAPA Gold or Platinum) or Fram will be fine. However the OE filter is good and may be less expensive than aftermarket options. As for aftermarket air and cabin air filters, it usually takes some time after a new model year is released before aftermarket filters are available.

Just a heads up. Before purchasing the Auto 7 brand from Rock Auto make sure you read the linked thread. RA catalog pic used all along even when A7 changed suppliers as shown in link. Caveat Emptor.

https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/4492151/1

The H/K OEM filters seem stoutly made and reasonably priced if not noted for thier efficiency.

Wix/Napa Gold and Fram Ultra also good options IMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back