MMO and LSPI?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't have a GDI vehicle but at least one family member does and I imagine I will eventually. Got to thinking about MMO and LSPI. Since MMO as a fuel additive works as an UCL and it also has a mild solvent in it, I can't help but wonder if good "old" MMO might be effective against the new problem of LSPI.

I used MMO non-stop in the gas of my former Jeep for about 6 1/2 years. It DID get better gas mileage on it (more than enough to pay for itself) and it ran better as well. So I am not of the camp of thinking MMO is useless it can provide some benefit under the right circumstances. I wonder if the LSPI issue would be one of them?

Thoughts?

I'm sure you're going to get various feedback. IMO to prove MMO would make a difference you'd need to have two identical vehicles or close enough in design with GDI and run one with and one without MMO and inspect the top end of the motors at certain intervals to be sure.

I know one guy at work with an Audi Q5 that spent over $1500 CDN to get the engine blasted with walnut shells to clean out the deposits. He's still getting various CEL conditions periodically.

Last edited:
MMO has no anti-knock compounds in it that I know of.
If anything, it lowers the octane rating, maybe by a very small amount like a tenth of a point??
The thought of using MMO to prevent LSPI is not worth betting an engine on.
I wont be the goofy uncle telling my soon to be driving nieces and nephews they gotta run the junk to prevent disaster.

Given the tons of money OEMs and oil and additive pack makers just spent to reformulate oils to prevent LSPI, I doubt MMO would do any good when added to an SN Plus oil and may do some harm.

MMO components aren’t expensive and would surely be part of the reformulated oil mix if they were helpful.

I don't know if MMO is good for anything. I use it, but only to [hopefully] control corrosion in the Harley tank. I gained 5 mpg to the tank where I used the recommended dose, but who knows why (40lb less load, driving on different roads, higher speeds..)
Something for LSPI from an old thread.

Originally Posted By: Jax_RX8
My, what short memories we have here on BITOG.

While not a fan of Lucas Oil in general,
Lucas UCL is know the have PolyIsobutylene and PIB Succinimide in it, both dispersants. While not PEA, which is a likely the most effective dispersant for fuel additives, Lucas UCL does have cleaning abilities in addition to its lubrication properties.

In addition, PIB is known for controlling fuel droplet sizes, keeping them consistent in size and not too small, thus preventing pre-ignition and allowing a more controlled burn rate. This has also been discussed here, referencing studies, and has been shown in studies to increase fuel economy.

While not strong enough to clean up in one tank like PEA based additives, with continuous use like it is designed for, does have benefits. The question is what are you seeking in your fuel additive.

For one-tank cleanups, it is hard to beat the PEA-based additives, like Redline SI-1, Gumout Regane, AMSOIL PI, etc, but they can get expensive to use on a continuous basis, so something like Lucas UCL might be something to consider for continuous use.

Personally, I love and use Redline SI-1 every 5000 miles in all my vehicles, but during the rest of the OCI I do find that a 50/50 mix of MMO and Lucas UCL at 4 oz/10 gallons keeps things cleaned up and running smooth (get a little benefit of the best of both additives).

I now return you to your regularly scheduled programming of bashing Lucas UCL.

Originally Posted By: Danh
Given the tons of money OEMs and oil and additive pack makers just spent to reformulate oils to prevent LSPI, I doubt MMO would do any good when added to an SN Plus oil and may do some harm.

MMO components aren’t expensive and would surely be part of the reformulated oil mix if they were helpful.

Though I have used it in oil a decent amount for various reasons, in this thread I was referring to it as a fuel additive.

As for LSPI, just "thinking out loud" so to speak, I have no idea but am curious.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back