2016 Mustang Differential OIl Change

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: 2015_PSD
Originally Posted By: ant
You're right probably don't need the most expensive oil, just need one fit for purpose. Do you see any issue with the 75w90 given that it's 50% higher viscosity?
50% higher viscosity than what?
Higher than the factory 75w85
I am not following you. How can 75W-90 be 50% higher viscosity over 75W-85?

Motorcraft @ 100°C is 11.5cSt while the 75w90s are 15.5-16.5cSt at 100°C,

66cSt vs 100-120cSt @40°C

Last edited:
Motorcraft @ 100°C is 11.5cSt while the 75w90s are 15.5-16.5cSt at 100°C, 66cSt vs 100-120cSt @40°C
OK; I am with you. I am not sure what it would mean, but from what I see most non-OEM oil manufacturers recommend 75W-90 for your application. I have not looked at Mustangs in a while, but the 2014 model specified 75W-140 (I think that was a different axle).

Originally Posted By: MolaKule
75W110 is a good all weather, all around grade and you can't go wrong with Amsoil Severe Gear.

thumbsup2.gif
cheers3.gif

I changed the rear diff fluid in my 2014 Mustang GT at around 3,600 miles when I installed an aluminum finned Ford cover on it. Mine specs 75W-140 and I used the Motorcraft stuff with the Motorcraft friction modifier. The factory fluid looked nasty. It was gray with a lot of sparkle to it.

Originally Posted By: wtd
I changed the rear diff fluid in my 2014 Mustang GT at around 3,600 miles when I installed an aluminum finned Ford cover on it. Mine specs 75W-140 and I used the Motorcraft stuff with the Motorcraft friction modifier. The factory fluid looked nasty. It was gray with a lot of sparkle to it.
The gray is a normal color for the factory rear axle on a Ford. Did it look like this?

reardifferential.jpg

When I changed the fluid in my 2000 Grand Marquis right after purchase in 2012, it looked more like silver paint. Replaced it with M1 75W-90. No issues since.

The gray is a normal color for the factory rear axle on a Ford. Did it look like this?

reardifferential.jpg

I vaguely remember the factory fluid looked similar to that in mine when I drained it at 5K. My Mustang has drain and fill plugs on the cover so I didn't have to pull the cover.

Originally Posted By: bdcardinal

reardifferential.jpg

I vaguely remember the factory fluid looked similar to that in mine when I drained it at 5K. My Mustang has drain and fill plugs on the cover so I didn't have to pull the cover.

Yes it looked like that. The cover I installed is the one that bdcardinal has on his car. It also has the fill and drain plugs on the cover.

Originally Posted By: Anthony
I changed the Diff Lube in my 17 Mustang GT about 300 miles ago. I went with Amsoil Severe Gear 75w110. I’m happy so far mainly because I did not add any Friction Modifers and so far the diff has not acted weird in tight turns etc. I don’t track the car but I am hard on it at times so I liked the idea of upping the viscosity slightly.

How much oil did you use? I went with the 75w90 and filled until the level reached the fill plug hole, but this may now be overfilled as I put about 6oz more than the owners manual indicates for the capacity.

I changed the Diff Lube in my 17 Mustang GT about 300 miles ago. I went with Amsoil Severe Gear 75w110. I’m happy so far mainly because I did not add any Friction Modifers and so far the diff has not acted weird in tight turns etc. I don’t track the car but I am hard on it at times so I liked the idea of upping the viscosity slightly.

How much oil did you use? I went with the 75w90 and filled until the level reached the fill plug hole, but this may now be overfilled as I put about 6oz more than the owners manual indicates for the capacity.

I believe it's usually common, not always, to fill up the diff a bit below the fill plug to allow for expansion. If you filled it till it spills out there is a possibility of some being vented out if it gets hot, not a big deal though.

Whimsey

Every source I could find online said 1.6 quarts.
I drained it an measured exactly 1.6 quarts that came out so I refilled with 1.6

Just did my rear diff and MT yesterday. The old rear diff fluid looked like that too. Filled up with Motul GEAR 300 LS 75w90.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back