Hedge trimmer "resin solvent"

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I picked up a couple dewalt yard tools.. on Prime day.

The 20v string trimmer($87) and the hedge trimmer($92).

So far the string trimmer seems good.. for light to medium duty.... in other words on grass and weeds.. not so great on woody stuff. Which is fine I have a 2-cycle craftsman with a blade on it for heavy stuff.
It is pretty quiet on low and I trimmed for 15min and used about 1/4th of a 5ah battery.
I like that it has a fully variable trigger on both low and high settings.
The bump feed worked well once I realized you just bonk it on some soft grass to advance...It had been 15 years+ since I had a bump feed. I kind of wish it used .095 string.. just because I have a bushel of it, but the .08 dewalt string works well and I found myself being more precise trimming. Its not exactly light but well balanced and a couple pounds lighter than the gas trimmer.

Now onto the question part.

I trimmed some shrubs with the hedge trimmer.. which I mostly got for trail use on the farm.. and some hedges at relatives houses that I help out on.

Reading the instruction book(actually did it)- it says spray blades with resin solvent.

Anyone have suggestions? I was thinking maybe fluid film.. or perhaps some wd-40 to remove the goo.. then fluid film.

Lots of solvents will take off the resin/pine sap stuff. At least for chainsaws, I've seen gasoline, kerosene, acetone, goo gone, WD40 used, etc. I'd use whatever you have on hand and start on the weaker end. I'd try something like a citrus based cleaner first, then move up to WD40 or goo gone, then kerosene. Once clean, I'd keep the blades coated with something like WD40 or fluid film, something with a little oil in it.

Brakes parts cleaner works well for me on my 2 chainsaws.
The cheapest Wal Mart stuff has more than enough cleaning power.

Originally Posted By: fcjeep
Brakes parts cleaner works well for me on my 2 chainsaws.
The cheapest Wal Mart stuff has more than enough cleaning power.

While I'm sure that cleans, brake clean is pretty nasty.
I dont want anything that will degrade any plastic if it gets abit of splash overspray.

FWIW: I'm trimming mostly bushes that arent really too sticky (my shrubs are, but I only have a few).

Was just wondering if WD-40 was a sin for this type of use. I know fluid film actually lists hedge trimmer on the label.. so from a lubrication standpoint that sounds decent.. just not sure if it will dissolve the goo/tar/sticky off very well.

I suppose I can dig up this post in a year and report back. Looks like stihl makes some sort of cleaning spray but its about as hard to find as schaeffers grease in single packs.

I use the Stihl resin remover spray on my hedge trimmer blades, Also works great on my Pruning shears & Loppers.
My Stihl dealer sells individual cans.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back