Micrometer-digital

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looking for a good micrometer.
Will be using it to measure brake discs (rotor) thickness and for other general purposes such as using it to measure accurate brake booster push rod adjustments (measuring free play between booster push rod and Master Cylinder).

Any recommendation are greatly appreciated

Mitutoyo if you want the best, but it costs an appropriate amount.

A micrometer is not a particularly difficult tool to make and pretty much every nation on Earth has been making perfectly good ones for more than 100 years; for occasional use a China import will probably do just fine.

Originally Posted By: Gito
Will be using it to measure brake discs (rotor) thickness and for other general purposes such as using it to measure accurate brake booster push rod adjustments (measuring free play between booster push rod and Master Cylinder).

Harbor Freight has one for about $35 that will do just fine in the applications you mentioned.

For general work Fowler is good enough, for higher end tools Starrett or Mitutoyo.

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=node%3D4989301011&field-keywords=fowler+micrometer&rh=n%3A16310091%2Cn%3A256409011%2Cn%3A4989299011%2Cn%3A4989301011%2Ck%3Afowler+micrometer

https://www.amazon.com/Micrometers-Starrett-Dimensional-Measurement/s?ie=UTF8&page=1&rh=n%3A4989301011%2Cp_4%3AStarrett

https://www.amazon.com/gp/search/ref=a9_asi_1?rh=i%3Aindustrial%2Cn%3A4989301011%2Ck%3Amitutoyo&keywords=mitutoyo&ie=UTF8&qid=1532095699

These are some of mine, Starrett, Mitutoyo, Browne and Sharp.

Last edited:
I agree that Fowler is the way to go, for a general purpose high value.

However, we are mixing micrometer with caliper.

An inexpensive 6" dial caliper should meet most garage needs.

I like dial calipers because there are no batteries to wear out. However, dial calipers are more prone to shock damage.

Vernier calipers are the most reliable and inexpensive, but difficult to use.

Originally Posted By: kschachn
Originally Posted By: Gito

Harbor Freight has one for about $35 that will do just fine in the applications you mentioned.

You can buy "Harbor Freight" quality China imports on eBay for as low as $5

I have digital, both gear driven, (Mitutoyo) and electronic, (Starrett). As well as both Brown & Sharpe and Starrett 40 TPI mechanical micrometers. For brake rotors and such you don't need digital. A screw drive is more rugged. And they're all about the same accuracy wise.

My newest Starrett digital 0-1" reads to 5 decimal places, (50 millionths). But you can give it to 5 people and get 5 different readings, because it is extremely difficult, if not impossible to hand gauge a mike to that degree of accuracy. (Just holding it in your hand for a few minutes will heat the frame enough to cause a discrepancy larger than it's reading range). No one trying to hold that kind of tolerance while machining a part would use a hand held micrometer to do it.

For what you need Harbor Freight will suit your requirements. You might want to invest in a Carbide anvil and screw tip if they're available. Only because for frequent use they will wear better. But again, it's not really necessary. As far as the electronic micrometers and calipers, the electronic readers are mostly a generic electronic item. Most are made in China, regardless of the brand or cost.

I have expensive Mitutoyo electronic calipers, and a Harbor Freight el cheapo model. Back when I was working, I had to have all my measuring tools calibrated every 6 months. The Harbor Freight calipers passed calibration just as well as the high priced Mitutoyo's did. If you were caught measuring your work with a non calibrated, or out of date tool, it was reason for dismissal.

Just never drop any of them
smile.gif

Would calipers work better in this situation? You'd need 1"-2" mics for rotors thus making them less versatile for everyday use. Mitutoyo is the best, but they don't go down much passed 1" and use a 1" master gage block for zeroing.

I am having a hard time visualizing mics with the brake booster adjustment. I apologize.

*other rotors are obviously less than 1” thick too.

Last edited:
My most used tools are 1" micrometer, 2" micrometer, and a 6" and 12" dial calipers, I also have a 6" digital.

The micrometers are Starret "digital" analog.
216rl-1e55953cusp1.jpg

I also have a Starret 6" USA made dial caliper, and I got a beauty, the 6" inch/mm Starret USA model:

and a surface plate.
smile.gif
I favor tools that require NO BATTERIES. On the subject of cheap tools, you should be buying one good tool per month, you can tell a man's wealth buy peeking into his toolbox!

Last edited:
I just had my 1" Starrett 216 redone at the main Starrett factory nearby. I have 1-6" of this type and inside styles. I love Starret measuring tools.

A Dial Caliper would be ideal for what your doing, My 6" Brown & Sharpe have served me well for years. Along with not dropping them......Keep them away from dirt/debris.

Comments from a shop that repairs measuring instruments.

http://www.longislandindicator.com/p29.html

Quote:
Mahr micrometers made in Germany are of very good quality and quite expensive. Parts are, or should be available from Mahr-Federal in Rhode Island but they have a high minimum purchase which can make these repairs problematic.

Swiss made Tesa, Etalon (and some Brown & Sharpe) micrometers are the cream of the crop and parts can be gotten through Long Island Indicator Service. If you can afford it, these would be the ones to get. Digital models, however, may not be economically repairable, regardless of their original cost.

American made Brown & Sharpe micrometers are made by S-T Industries (Brown and Sharpe no longer makes anything of their own). They very obviously lack the finesse of their European cousins.

Swiss-made Brown & Sharpe micrometers are the only ones we genuinely recommend. They'll cost a bit more but they'll last longer and you'll feel better. Designed for the professional. Forget all others.

Scherr-Tumico now goes by the name S-T Industries. They pioneered the "tubular" frame which allows for lighter weight micrometers of extremely large sizes. These American made micrometers tend to be on the cheap side and it often shows. However, you may have no other choice for a particular application such as enormous diameters.

Central Tool of Cranston, Rhode Island, makes micrometers aimed at the automotive industry. They're on par with the other American made micrometers.

Fowler sells some quality Swiss gages under the name Sylvac. Fowler also sells a lot of Asian junk. Polish indicating micrometers are also sold with the Fowler name on them. Spare parts are hard to get or not available and service is probably not possible.

Mitutoyo offers mechanical micrometers for all budgets and parts are easily available. The digital models won't be repairable if the models are obsolete, which happens about every 3 years. Mitutoyo is an innovator in digital measurement so if you're looking for the latest technology, look no further.

Mitutoyo indicating micrometers use epoxy to hold the anvil bushings in place. Unfortunately, this epoxy softens with time (and oil based solvents) and the micrometer will lose accuracy. Rubber bellows are supposed to keep the solvents away so don't remove them and replace the bellows if the rubber deteriorates..

Standard Gage is a brand name which you will now also encounter on inexpensive Chinese tools. It used to be one of the American stalwarts but has sadly been [censored] over the last decade.

Starrett does not make a good quality micrometer although it's highly popular. Repairs sent to Starrett incur a high bench charge so it's probably more economical to find an independent repair shop to deal with these when the time comes.

Carl Zeiss made in Germany. Hefty construction but repairs probably won't be possible because of the lack of parts. The dial micrometer could be used in the upright position because the dial is at right angles to the spindle, unlike all the other indicating micrometers.

Etalon micrometers are the best Swiss-made OD micrometers available. This is an excellent micrometer which can be recommended. Experience shows that these have a long useful life (we encounter Etalon micrometers that are 60 years old and still worth repairing).

Last edited:
It is nice to have a dedicated caliper/micrometer for brake rotors. These usually have one or two pointed anvils vs flat anvils. Also nice if you have to measure curved metal surfaces that flat anvils cannot. Brake measurement tools don't have to be expensive top of the line or super accurate. You really are not dealing with .001 tolerances on rotors. Chances are you will drop it, or your helper will throw something heavy on top of it while it sits in your tool cart anyway.

EDIT: As far as the nice stuff. I have had a set of Mitutoyo digital 0-1",1-2",2-3",3-4" mics for 31 years. Still as good as the day I overpaid for them (Snap-on).

Last edited:
I have Mitutoyo to 4'', and haven't used them in decades, there is just no use for them in the repair business these days. They are Imperial too, I'm not interested in that complicated system anymore. For brake rotors you need pointed anvils as mentioned, and to be deep enough to measure the full depth of rotor...an ordinary micrometer is just not suitable. Best I had for brake rotors was made for the job, and was mechanical digital, KISS. You don't need any great accuracy - anywhere near min and it's junk, within 0.5mm of min and you can't machine it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back