Once a year changes

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: SevenBizzos
My 02 sits Thanksgiving weekend until late April. That's happened every year since it was delivered. I only drive 1500 miles a year. Any decent oil will work. No need to get too creative.

I change mine right before spring startup. Always have. I know a lot wouldn't do it that way, but my baby has run just fine. I always thought I'd rather run the oil during the first six months rather than the have it sit six months and then run it. Probably matters less than we're all making it out to be.
wink.gif

Interesting perspective. Seems to be working just fine for you.

Drive your car more. why own nice things if they're simply a garage ornament
wink.gif

As for oil changes. Oil's cheap and engine rebuilds aren't. PP is a great oil.

Regards
Jordan

Originally Posted By: SevenBizzos

I change mine right before spring startup. Always have. I know a lot wouldn't do it that way, but my baby has run just fine. I always thought I'd rather run the oil during the first six months rather than the have it sit six months and then run it. Probably matters less than we're all making it out to be.
wink.gif

Letting it sit for six months - then running it after winter, is probably a better idea.... MOA.

It's really no different than buying a case of oil and leaving it in the garage untouched over the winter. No harm whatsoever. I presume it's better for your engine, than leaving used oil in the engine for those six months. Unless you had a UOA done and know-for-certain no dilution exists, then keep-up the current regime. If not sure, then I would change that routine. If for no other reason-than contamination of dirt, grime, carbon.....etc... sitting there for six months.

My fiance' has a 2007 Mustang GT that only has about 22,000 miles on it and she only puts about 2,000 miles a year on it. I change the oil in it usually once a year but have gone longer than that. It usually doesn't get driven in the winter either. She uses Motorcraft 5W-20 with a Motorcraft filter.

Car runs fine as you would expect with such low mileage on it. I guess time will tell if all that sitting is bad for it.

My 2014 Mustang GT usually doesn't get driven much in the winter and I change the oil in it once a year. This past winter I didn't drive it at all from November until April. Car has 28,600 miles on it. I run Motorcraft oil and filter in it as well.

You will be fine continuing to do what you have been doing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back