Now oil pump while I have the pan off?

Status
Not open for further replies.
1998 Ford Ranger pickup 3.0 V/6 205,000 miles. Almost no sludge in oil pan so seems like previous owners must have changed the oil enough. I bought the truck at 203,000 and I needed to change the timing chain cover as it had a bad leak.

Just wondering if I might as well change out the oil pump while I have the pan off as I had to take out the engine to get the pan off. A Melling oil pump from Rock Auto is only $71.

Thanks, guys!

I don't know about the mechanics(lifespan etc.) of the pump but are there any O rings / seals which degrade with time?

If a reseal job is advisable then replacing a pump might be "not foolish".

It depends on how hard the pan drop was. Easy job and everything was good and clean I'd probably leave it, the risk of a defect is always on my mind. Tough job to drop the pan, I'd get an OE pump and hope it's not a defect.

Just put a good one in there. A cheap one might be worse than whats already in there.

How many more miles do you plan to put in the truck? If its a lot then chang eit. If only occational duty i might not bother if the oil pressure was goob before.

I have a 2002 Ford Ranger with a 'leaking' Rear Main Seal.
You may want to change it while you have the Engine out.

And while you have the Timing Chain Cover off, change the 'Front' Main Seal.

Last edited:
With 200K on the original its not a bad idea, personally for $71 I would change it. Melling is a good name and pumps do wear so if your in there already it seems a little foolish not to.

49.gif

Originally Posted By: Trav
With 200K on the original its not a bad idea, personally for $71 I would change it. Melling is a good name and pumps do wear so if your in there already it seems a little foolish not to.
49.gif

I agree. If you can get to the rear seal, I'd change it too.

When in Rome.....I'd change it out.....kind of like changing the Honda V6 timing belt...you also change out the water pump while you're in there regardless just because it's cheap insurance.

Originally Posted By: Trav

49.gif

Agreed!

Just put a stunningly awesome melling pump in a 6.0 Chevy for a friend. IMO it's cheap insurance as long as you don't have precisely calibrated engine features like VVT/MDS etc. that are affected by higher oil flow and pressure.

Melling pumps are at least (and often cited as better than ) OEM quality.

Since you had to pull the motor to access the pan, like you, I'd be tempted to replace it @ 200K miles. It is a wear item.

The pressure of while you're in there is crushing. The timing cover sprung a leak is the root cause of all this work. You pulled the engine, While the engine was still in did you test the oil pressure? Compression? Either you didn't think of it or it wasn't an issue. On a good running 200K mile engine, less is better. Either rebuild the whole engine or just a replace what leaks. The engine has had some care to last 200K. Answer me this, could the original leak be repaired with JBWeld with the engine in? Other than the leak, I would replace the rear main seal and that is it.

I've never worked on American iron or gotten deep into engine repair but if the pump is easy to access and doesn't need much work I don't think it's a bad idea to install a new pump. Just use a good pump, Melling has been around for a while, Sealed Power is a Federal-Mogul brand.

In the import world, you have to drop the crank on some engines to get to the oil pump as it's driven off flats machined into the crank snout. Most of the time Japanese oil pumps are part of the rear timing cover assembly(not the one you take off to get to the timing belt/chain).

If you have to pull out an engine with 200k+ miles on it I would change out every single thing I could before putting it back in!

Originally Posted By: BrocLuno
At that mileage, I'd put a Melling HV pump in as all the bearings are worn, and it could use the higher flow. No need for more pressure, just more flow
smile.gif

I am one who also views it as cheap insurance for longevity.

We had an old 6.0 here in the early 2000's that was nearly killed by an oil starvation issue caused by a team member parking it on a severely tilted driveway and then using it for 3 hours. When he came out it was barely running. Then instead of calling he drove it home!

Luckily all it needed was the top end rebuilt. Afterwards it ran great but the oil pressure was 10 psi at idle and never more than 30 at any speed. A simple HV oil pump raised the oil pressure to 50 psi at speed never falling below 20 at idle.

Sure made us all feel better! Ran well till sold...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back