aluminun bed in f150 pick um ups

Status
Not open for further replies.
The landscaper / builder who did my block wall and driveway extension had one. Landscapers are rough on pickups. Wheelbarrows, concrete mixers, hammer drills, rebar, rakes, shovels, concrete blocks, name it and it got tossed into the bed. He wasn't happy with his. It had several puncture marks in the bottom of the bed itself. Not large ones, but big enough to part the material.

He told me he treated it much the same as the older steel bed F-150 he got rid of for it. And while it was banged and dented up, it did not have any tears or puncture marks. He told me he saw the Chevy commercial, and should have learned from it. From what I saw it's really going to hurt when he sells or trades it in.

Naturally his treatment isn't considered "normal". If taken care of I'm sure they are fine for most people. I would be more concerned about body shops having enough experience in working with, and painting Aluminum. Should someone with one gets it badly damaged an accident.

Originally Posted By: supton
Wouldn't a plastic bedliner "fix" the issue for the landscaper?

I'm sure it would.

I'm sure it would. But it always seems those guys are the last one's to buy or use bedliners. It's the suburbanites who you always see waxing their pickups in the driveway on weekends that have them.
grin.gif

I did have a contractor tell me once he didn't like them because stuff slid around in the bed too much with them. And the spray in coatings do nothing to protect from dents and dings.

Originally Posted By: Miller88
Well, one thing good about them, they won't turn to rust in a few years like the steel beds ...

I was going to mention that. I think there might be an advantage to them in wet, humid, tropical climates that receive a lot of rain. But I'm not so sure about the Midwest rust belt, with all of the road salt they dump on the streets every Winter. Salt corrodes Aluminum like crazy. You NEVER see a salt truck anywhere near an airport runway. There is a reason they use expensive, non corrosive deicing fluids.

Originally Posted By: billt460
Originally Posted By: Miller88
Well, one thing good about them, they won't turn to rust in a few years like the steel beds ...

I was going to mention that. I think there might be an advantage to them in wet, humid, tropical climates that receive a lot of rain. But I'm not so sure about the Midwest rust belt, with all of the road salt they dump on the streets every Winter. Salt corrodes Aluminum like crazy. You NEVER see a salt truck anywhere near an airport runway. There is a reason they use expensive, non corrosive deicing fluids.

BiL has had his for a while and keeps a moderate rubber mat in the bed and a thick horse stall mat over that … sure like how easy the tailgate is to close …

Is the weight savings really 600 to 700 pounds?

I ask because a salesman ran out to me at a Ford dealership (I was going for the parts dept. only).

He said it was 800 pounds lighter. It simply "did not compute" (seemed like to high a number).

It's also now in the Superduties as well. I think they did make changes to it over the years so I'd imagine it's better now as the Superduty guys are not easy on their trucks either.

I don't understand. Why should an owner need to "fix" a brand new pick up truck? At the price they charge for a truck these days this thought process is just nuts!

Ford's "600~700" LB weight reduction is based on the new aluminum bed equipped trucks with the V6 Eco-boost engine vs. the previous steel bed model with a V8. A lot of that weight reduction comes from the lighter engine rather than the aluminum body / bed parts alone.

With the weight reduction, Ford F-150 is lighter than the competition, but only by a maximum of less than 100 lbs. (Extended Cab 2WD base engine for comparisons)

F-150 4912 lbs
RAM 1500 4989 lbs
Chevrolet Silverado 1500 4982 lbs

I generally don't like plastic bed liners due to their propensity to collect and store moisture. F-150 of course won't have a rust problem with the truck bed but it can cause rust on cargo and accessories like tools. Also even though aluminum doesn't rust, it's not corrosion free, and environmental compounds in air are water soluble.

I much prefer spray-on bedliners, and they are available from the factory when you buy the truck. With regard to paint and finish in general, there is no way you can come close to a factory finish cost wise at an auto-body shop. Premium paint, even on some rather pricey automobiles, is quite inexpensive (usually less than $1000, I've seen $400 on some). One of the best bargains on the option sheet, as it also raises resale value, sometimes by the same amount or more than you paid. Not a common situation with options.

As usual, you have to make your choices based on your own requirements and of course if you have a brand loyalty, you probably are going to pre-select a vehicle based on that.

Originally Posted By: BobsArmory

I don't understand. Why should an owner need to "fix" a brand new pick up truck? At the price they charge for a truck these days this thought process is just nuts!

I don't think I disagree: if you sell a work truck then it should stand up to "normal" usage!

That said, there is a disconnect IMO between users and OEM's. I mean, how many people buy a car with nice carpet--and immediately buy floor mats or liners to protect the carpet? Makes no sense to me! Carpet looks nice but is awful in snow states IMO. Rubber floors look bad but can clean up nicer. Why can the OEM's just sell us cars with floor liners already? Same vein, why not a set of steelies in the trunk for snow tire usage in northern climes?

I'm not sure that I want to say "many" buyers buy then finish their vehicles, but some of us do. We swap tires, buy a set of snows, get bed liners, bed caps, running boards, floor mats. And that's not including commercial users who might be adding equipment for their usage. A plastic bedliner IMO falls into the latter category--most users don't need such.

Originally Posted By: BobsArmory

You're not fixing anything. What fool rides out of the dealership without a bed liner in a $50-$80 truck
I never left the lot without one and often get it free- haggled in. If it was steel it dents and rusts and looks bad.
No different here. Also there isn't one type of aluminum in the world. They could make those beds bullet proof if they wanted to.

Originally Posted By: Johnny2Bad
Ford's "600~700" LB weight reduction is based on the new aluminum bed equipped trucks with the V6 Eco-boost engine vs. the previous steel bed model with a V8. A lot of that weight reduction comes from the lighter engine rather than the aluminum body / bed parts alone.

Is that true? I think the 3.5, 2.7 and 5.0 all are around 450lb dry.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ford_EcoBoost_engine
2.7 is 440 while 3.5 is 449.

What I'm not sure is what the 5.0 weighs. Is the 5.0 the same as the Mustang 5.0? The Mustang Coyote 5.0 seems to be around 430lb.

Originally Posted By: Johnny2Bad

Is that true? I think the 3.5, 2.7 and 5.0 all are around 450lb dry.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ford_EcoBoost_engine
2.7 is 440 while 3.5 is 449.

What I'm not sure is what the 5.0 weighs. Is the 5.0 the same as the Mustang 5.0? The Mustang Coyote 5.0 seems to be around 430lb.

It's what they said in Car & Driver. Maybe accessories and accessory drives were also weight reduced? Even a lighter battery would shave some weight, and if that was because of the switch to a V6 (just guessing here) it would count.

It's not easy to find raw engine weight specs so I can't confirm or deny C&D's assertion. But they don't *look* to be the same weight (Base 2.7 and optional 3.5 & 5.0l). They are all iron block / aluminum head so I'm not sure how they would not reduce weight by dropping two cylinders.

Flat out dumb to not have a bedliner in a truck these days. As others have pointed out, it is a gimme to grab one part of a sale. (Ie: throw a bedliner in and we have a deal). And frankly, nobody wants a truck that has had the bed beat to heck anyways - steel or aluminum. For our fleet, a bedliner is SOP. Helps on the resale on the backend.

As far as the weight savings, generally 600-700 lbs lighter depending on the configuration, and it is not from the engines. As pointed out, dry weight is virtually the same on all of engine choices, and the batteries are all similar in size.

Originally Posted By: 4WD
BiL has had his for a while and keeps a moderate rubber mat in the bed and a thick horse stall mat over that … sure like how easy the tailgate is to close …

The horse stall mat is an easy solution for under $50. Not even the Chevy commercial cinder block drop would've punctured through that.

Most people don't abuse the truck bed like landscape guys or Chevy commercial. Not even close ... Who drops big rocks from 6' up? I wouldn't worry about it. I own a Tundra but if I owned a F150 i wouldn't worry about it for What I use it for. Nice to save 700 lbs but I heard Ford is going back (or has gone) to steel bed again. Not sure.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back