Broken or Slipped Belt

Status
Not open for further replies.
I took a look at a Fuzion tire that had some vibration issues yesterday, and I think that there is a broken or slipped belt in the tire. The shape of the tire is no longer uniform. I've never had this with a tire before. It doesn't make me think highly of Fuzions.

I've had issues with the sidewall on one of my Fuzion tires. There appears to be some tears on it, but I've checked the tire pressure on all of them all the time and they're ok.

In my opinion, Fuzion tires aren't very good. Mine are noisy and have already started dryrottinng after 2 years of service. Good traction/grip though on the Fuzion SUV ones.

I didn't buy them. They came with another car, and I swapped them over when I needed two tires.

They may be a cheap tire, but I do believe that high dollar tires can go bad too.

Originally Posted By: ET16
I took a look at a Fuzion tire that had some vibration issues yesterday, and I think that there is a broken or slipped belt in the tire. The shape of the tire is no longer uniform. I've never had this with a tire before. It doesn't make me think highly of Fuzions.

I recently had a broken or separated belt. There was a section in the middle of the tread about 3"x12" that had bulged out maybe 3/8" of an inch.

It was my first issue like that in almost 50 yrs or driving. Tire guy said it was heading towards a blowout.

I had the slipped belt tire bulge before too but they were on a set of Chinese tires. Never Chinese tires again unless they are from a name brand.

Just so everyone knows:

Those of us who analyze failed tires for a living do not use the terms "Broken Belt" or "Slipped Belt". That's because that is not what happens nor what the result is.

Typically, these terms are used where the term "Separation" would be more accurate - usually with a descriptor as to location within the tire (belt leaving belt, tread leaving belt, etc.) In fact, the semi-official book of Tire Forensics - TIA Passenger and Light Truck Tire Conditions Manual - subscribes to this.

Yes, I am aware that many people at the store level use those terms - those and many more. And in fairness to those who use these terms,- occasionally there will be a cut or impact induced separation that could be described as "broken", but the "slipped" part is a bit of a mystery.

I replaced my tire today. It looked normal on the inside.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back