Motorcraft, 5W-30, 2425 miles, 2018 3.5 F EcoBoost

Status
Not open for further replies.
Changed oil in my new 2018 F150 3.5 EcoBoost early at 3904 Kilometers, or 2420 miles. Fuel Dilution was at unacceptable levels!
Oil was factory installed Motorcraft, which may be Conoco Phillips, but I cant confirm for sure what oil is installed at the Dearborn facility. Filter Was factory Ford installed FoMoCo AA5E 6714 DA (FL500-S)

Sodium 7
Potassium 4
Silicon 82 (reportable)
Aluminum 5
Iron 32
Copper 59 (reportable)
Lead 2
Tin 0
Chromium 1
Nickel 0
Titanium 0
Silver 0
Vanadium 0
Antimony 0
Berylium 0
Calcium 2090
Zinc 768
Phosphorous 704
Magnesium 16
Molybdenum 71
Boron 158
Barium 0
Lithium 1

Visc 40C 47.8 (reportable/ typical 65)
Visc 100C 8.29 (reportable/ typical 10.8)
Visc Index 149 (typical 157)
Fuel % 8.47 (Unaceptable)

I thought fuel dilution was addressed somewhat by the dual injection of the second Gen 3.5. That is really high. I run 0w40 in my 2016 and have never smelled fuel in the oil. Could you smell the gas?

Wow that's a lot of fuel. I realize it is a DI engine, however I wonder if there is an issue with an injector/injectors, or something else? I'd keep an eye on it. I doubt bringing it in for them to check would matter, unless you're smelling fuel. If so bring it back with the UOA and hope the service writer understands it.

No other surprises, it's a new engine and will be shedding wear metals.

The high wear metals are not surprising; it's break-in wear showing up. Si is the sealers not yet fully cured.

The fuel, OTOH, is perplexing. This is the first example I've seen in the "new" EB that has such grotesque fuel numbers. Definitely going to want to run some more UOAs to track this. If you develop an engine issue later on (especially after warranty), having the evidence may work towards your favor.

Just out of interest pull the oil filler cap off with the motor running. I suspect the rings have not bedded in yet, you may have a fair bit of blow by.

This has helped me seal up rings : http://www.fpc1.com/ also improved the economy and power slightly needless to say. I run it in the Pajero and the oil stays clean for a long time now too. This is only 1 of 3 additives that I have noticed any direct driving down the road benefit from.

Originally Posted By: ozdrrider
Just out of interest pull the oil filler cap off with the motor running. I suspect the rings have not bedded in yet, you may have a fair bit of blow by.

This has helped me seal up rings : http://www.fpc1.com/ also improved the economy and power slightly needless to say. I run it in the Pajero and the oil stays clean for a long time now too. This is only 1 of 3 additives that I have noticed any direct driving down the road benefit from.

Is the Pajero a diesel? I thought about trying FPC1 too but hesitant cause I have DPF/SCR. What 3 additives have real benefits?

Nothing more to add on topic, but a belated welcome to BITOG. You will find it a much more receptive and civil place to discuss oil related matters than F150forum.com.

Did you beat on it at all to seat rings? Or break it in easy?

What oil did you use on the change?

I just did my first OCI on my 18 Ecoboost tonight. 3173 miles. I used Castrol Edge 5w-30. I did not do a UOA though.

The first oil change is a waste to do a uoa on unless you suspect a coolant problem . The next oil change will be better if you do another uoa .

Originally Posted By: Srt20
Did you beat on it at all to seat rings? Or break it in easy?

What oil did you use on the change?

I just did my first OCI on my 18 Ecoboost tonight. 3173 miles. I used Castrol Edge 5w-30. I did not do a UOA though.
The rings seat no matter what.

I did vary the RPM's by driving in Manual mode, & shifting down, & up through the gears. Tried to run it at 3-4000 rpms for a distance, & let off, then floor, it, & slowly let off throttle.

I haven't pulled much with it yet though, & no mountains in SK to work it up hill.

I think it should be past the break in stage.

Not too concerned yet, but will change the oil out at the same interval as last time to compare results with another oil analysis.
I will make sure I change oil after an extended drive, to ensure fuel dilution isn't caused from a brief "idling" warm up, prior to changing oil. I think I was up to operating temps the last time, but not certain for how long.

Yes, it did have a gassy odor, but I was more worried about how quickly it looked dirty on the dipstick. Oil was black in the sample container. I haven't had a vehicle with the oil life monitor, prior to this one, & wanted to see if they were at all accurate. Monitor said my oil life was still at 79% remaining when I reset it.

Originally Posted By: cdlamb
Yes, it did have a gassy odor, but I was more worried about how quickly it looked dirty on the dipstick. Oil was black in the sample container. I haven't had a vehicle with the oil life monitor, prior to this one, & wanted to see if they were at all accurate. Monitor said my oil life was still at 79% remaining when I reset it.

The dark oil seems to be a trait of DI and especially DI and turbocharging. With my 2.3 EB the oil turns dark quickly but my UOA's have shown low wear metals. My fuel dilution appeared to be not significant. The strong smell of fuel in the oil is much more bothersome and it showed in your UOA. Your oil life monitor appears to be on track for 10,000 mile OCI's, the same as mine, no matter the season or how it's driven. You might want to look at using a synthetic oil. The times I used synthetic vs Motorcraft 5W-30 the oil shearing was less even with longer periods of time in use with the Mobil 1 5W-30 I used. It'll be interesting to see the next UOA you do.

Whimsey

Yep it's a Diesel, and the DPF regen will decrease with use (it makes the particulate matter less & smaller). Other adds I have success with is Lucas upper cyl. lube and oil additive (when used as a top up before oil change) and PTFE adds in a manual G/box/diff oil, although grapeseed oil @ 200ppm with FPC has superseded the upper cyl lube..

Back on topic related: the FPC kills the blow by/seats rings from my experience with it...

I recently sent a 2nd oil analysis to a different lab

Wear metals have decreased by a fair bit, but they are still saying unacceptable fuel dilution. Not sure if they have different fuel dilution test methods, as Fluid life is unacceptable after 4.99% Oil was replaced with Canadian Tire Formula 1 Synthetic 5W-30, & Baldwin Filter

Changed oil in my new 2018 F150 3.5 EcoBoost early at 3904 Kilometers, or 2420 miles. Fuel Dilution was at unacceptable levels!
Oil was factory installed Motorcraft, which may be Conoco Phillips, but I cant confirm for sure what oil is installed at the Dearborn facility. Filter Was factory Ford installed FoMoCo AA5E 6714 DA (FL500-S)

3904 km Fluidlife----------------------8000 km AGAT labs

Sodium 7-------------------------------------3
Potassium 4-----------------------------------1
Silicon 82 (reportable)-------------------------24
Aluminum 5-----------------------------------3
Iron 32--------------------------------------16
Copper 59 (reportable)-------------------------19
Lead 2---------------------------------------0
Tin 0----------------------------------------1
Chromium 1-----------------------------------1
Nickel 0--------------------------------------1
Titanium 0-----------------------------------na
Silver 0--------------------------------------0
Vanadium 0-----------------------------------na
Antimony 0-----------------------------------na
Berylium 0-----------------------------------na
Calcium 2090--------------------------------1860
Zinc 768--------------------------------------762
Phosphorous 704--------------------------------593
Magnesium 16-----------------------------------7
Manganese na-----------------------------------4
Molybdenum 71------------------------------145 (Upper Reportable)
Boron 158--------------------------------54 (Upper Critical)
Barium 0------------------------------------0
Lithium 1-----------------------------------na

Visc 40C 47.8 (reportable/ typical 65)----------46.6(lower Reportable)
Visc 100C 8.29 (reportable/ typical 10.8)--------8.7 (lower Reportable)
Visc Index 149 (typical 157)-------------------na
Fuel % 8.47 (Unaceptable)--------------------3.4 (Upper Critical)

... Not sure if they have different fuel dilution test methods, ...

Certainly ask them what method of testing is used.

As I opined elsewhere, in the overall scope of things 3.4% fuel dilution, while not ideal, is not disastrous, especially on a DI turbo at this stage of its life. If that is as bad as it stays long-term, it is certainly manageable. On my household's two cars (17 Jeep GC w/3.6L port injection and 18 F150 5.0L dual injection) which both dilute at around the level of yours, I have to date chosen to mix viscosities of the same brand to the upper levels of SAE 20 grade at temperature, which both call for. Maybe either mixing to the upper limits of an SAE 30 grade or even going with an XW-40 which will dilute to an SAE 30 grade could be one alternative for you. As 30 grade is such a narrow range finding a lower viscosity SAE 40 grade at temperature might be simpler. I understand about warranties but ...

That is like suppose you change your own oil, put 8 quarts of motor oil in the crankcase, and then pour in 3/4 of a quart of fresh gasoline on top of it. That is about 8.5% fuel dilution. If you did that on purpose it would be nuts -- but that's what the engine is doing to you. Not only is it diluting the oil with gas that has no lubricant properties, it is over-filling the oil level in the crankcase which is never good. And to think the Ford fuel sensor said you still had 80% left on that oil. I wonder how much fuel dilution would keep rising if you went the whole 10,000 miles interval.

There are plenty of GDI engines without this problem of fuel dilution. I bet most cars in this forum regardless of make or how new they are don't have fuel dilution issues. My Toyota V8 with 150,000 miles on it has no fuel dilution as in 'off the bottom of the scale".

Dont know if the second sample you sent off to a different lab was from the same oil as the first sample or not. Reason I ask is on one of my samples from the same engine as your (2017 F-150 3.5 Ecoboost) I only did a driveway warm up and it showed 1.5 % fuel compared to less than .5% when I took the sample after a long drive. Just my 2 cents and hope you get it figured out.

I just received an updated analysis from the lab after they analzed my baseline new unused oil sample

I am not sure why they are now showing Upper Critical with numbers that are quite similar to Fluid Life sample report.

Fluid life didn't have a new baseline sample to compare to either for first oil analysis so maybe that is why.

Originally Posted by cdlamb
I recently sent a 2nd oil analysis to a different lab

Wear metals have decreased by a fair bit, but they are still saying unacceptable fuel dilution. Not sure if they have different fuel dilution test methods, as Fluid life is unacceptable after 4.99% Oil was replaced with Canadian Tire Formula 1 Synthetic 5W-30, & Baldwin Filter

Originally Posted by cdlamb

3904 km Fluidlife----------------------8000 km AGAT labs

Sodium 7-------------------------------------3
Potassium 4-----------------------------------1
Silicon 82 (reportable)-------------------------24
Aluminum 5-----------------------------------3
Iron 32--------------------------------------16
Copper 59 (reportable)-------------------------19
Lead 2---------------------------------------0
Tin 0----------------------------------------1
Chromium 1-----------------------------------1
Nickel 0--------------------------------------1
Titanium 0-----------------------------------na
Silver 0--------------------------------------0
Vanadium 0-----------------------------------na
Antimony 0-----------------------------------na
Berylium 0-----------------------------------na
Calcium 2090--------------------------------1860 (Upper Critical)
Zinc 768--------------------------------------762 (Upper Critical)
Phosphorous 704--------------------------------593 (Upper Critical)
Magnesium 16-----------------------------------7
Manganese na-----------------------------------4
Molybdenum 71------------------------------145 (Upper Critical)
Boron 158--------------------------------54 (Upper Critical)
Barium 0------------------------------------0
Lithium 1-----------------------------------na

Visc 40C 47.8 (reportable/ typical 65)----------46.6(lower Critical)
Visc 100C 8.29 (reportable/ typical 10.8)--------8.7 (lower Reportable)
Visc Index 149 (typical 157)-------------------na
Fuel % 8.47 (Unaceptable)--------------------3.4 (Upper Critical)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back