castrol go m/c oil rated sg and jaso ma2...???

Status
Not open for further replies.
What does your owner's manual for the 2014 V Star suggest for motor oil?
The 2017 V Star 250 manual recommends JASO MA "SG type or higher"

SG was the good old days when catalytic converters were not an issue
cool.gif

Originally Posted By: BigCahuna
Does it have an actual API symbol on the bottle, or just says it meets that spec?.,,,

With Castrol it doesn't matter.

Go to VOA/UOA section....nowadays SG oils looks more like SN (regarding their P/Zn levels)....but many EP/AW additives are not shown in these tests

whys that?.,,,

I can't answer for him, but I'd say that Castrol can be trusted to have this at appropriate SG additive levels. SG is obsolete, so you can't license new oils with it and acquire the Donut.

As for the original question, go here for the API's of when specs were current and so forth.

no api circle...just says api sg & jaso ma2 on front & back of bottle; so I'm gonna chalk it up to a basic conventional m/c oil that's marketed to owners of old metrics that go by minimal standard listed in manuals

The API symbol indicates the oil in question has been tested and will meet a certain standard. To say that it "Meets" a given standard could also means, it might not. It hasn't been tested, but it probably will, hopefully. SG is an old standard that most bike mfgrs still use as a reference point for oil used in a motorcycle. That's because there is no API standard for motorcycle oil. So to pay big money per qt of oil, that hasn't been checked or tested to meet any standard, just gives a feeling of false confidence to the buyer. When you can buy synthetic automotive oil that has been API tested oil to the latest standard, for as little as $3.00 a qt.,,

When it comes to the big players, I wouldn't worry too much, and this Castrol would be no exception. The same is done with oddball HDEO viscosities up here, where a meets or exceeds is used, or for something older and out of date like the two stroke diesel specs, and "recommended for use" shows up on the sheets from the majors.

The API symbol is a non debate, I doubt very much you will find a motorcycle oil with an API rating better said with an API donut on it.

Why? because to meet Jaso standards part of the standard is SG or better.
The Jaso standard takes precedent over the API claim as without an oil that will pass SG or higher they can not be a JASO Certified/Approved oil.
So its pointless even thinking about API IF you are buying a Jaso oil ...

Click here, this explains it all.

whys that?.,,,

Castrol is too big to ruin their name with a sub par product.

Originally Posted By: alarmguy
The API symbol is a non debate, I doubt very much you will find a motorcycle oil with an API rating better said with an API donut on it.

Why? because to meet Jaso standards part of the standard is SG or better.
The Jaso standard takes precedent over the API claim as without an oil that will pass SG or higher they can not be a JASO Certified/Approved oil.
So its pointless even thinking about API IF you are buying a Jaso oil ...

Click here, this explains it all.
In order for a motor oil to meet any of the above mentioned JASO standards it must be at least of one of the following quality levels:

API SG, SH, SJ, SL, SM
ILSAC GF-1, GF-2, GF-3
ACEA A1/B1, A3/B3, A3/B4, A5/B5, C2, C3
So it has to meet a API standard of sg to even be considered for a jaso endorcement.,,

Valvoline 4-Stroke M/C oil (10W-40). API SL and JASO MA2.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back