Which UTF/UTHF for Allis Chalmers D17?

Status
Not open for further replies.
My factory service manual specs 80 EW, but a bunch of googling and tractor forums has led me to believe that people use many types of fluid and get away with it, but of course I want the "best"
smile.gif

Some say run 80w-90, some say run a UTF/UTHF, and some say it depends on how hard you work it and if its winter or summer.

I am thinking I could run a good UTF/UTHF as long as I am not missing out on protection. It takes about 51 quarts to do trans/hydraulics/power steering so buying and stocking one high quality UTF/UTHF would be ideal.

This old tractor is solid but has seen some neglect, the last oil change was dated 2011! Needless to say I am in the process of changing everything. This tractor will see everything from log skidding in 100F to plowing snow in midwest winter, so if there is a fluid that will be sufficient hot and cold I'm all ears.

Spend my money! What would you get? Thanks!

I saw some of the same posts you referenced about the different fluids. I would buy an owners manual from eBay and go from there, that way you know what the original fluid was.

Originally Posted By: SVTCobra
I saw some of the same posts you referenced about the different fluids. I would buy an owners manual from eBay and go from there, that way you know what the original fluid was.

Like I said in my post, I have the factory manual and the original fluid was a 80 weight gear oil. So you are recommending I go with gear oil?

Last edited:
It has been awhile since I posted in a thread about UTF, and the last I remember, I think I was corrected by Molakule about UTF protection capabilities. I had no ideal some were good oils loaded with additive.

Perhaps I had a bias because of prior bashing I had seen based on the super cheap "303" tractor fluids, but I admitted I had no idea things had changed.

Regardless, oil tech has changed much since the 60s so the factory manual might not be the best source when picking fluids. That's why I'm asking now that I have a use for tractor fluids. Thanks.
cheers3.gif

Like the manual part, I didn't see what part of the driveline the 80EW is spec'd for. If it's a shared system, I'd go with UTF, if not go with UTF for hydraulics and transmission and gear lube for the final drive.

Apologies, it specs 80 EW for the transmission/differential, 80 EW for the final drives on each rear wheel, and 20w-20 ND for the hydraulic side which also contains a hand clutch multi wet plate setup.

Both of these are antiquated oils which is why I attempted to explain the options my research has led me to.

It looks like I can get Hy-Guard locally for about $65/5 gallons, and Rotella HD tractor fluid for about the same. Other more generic offerings are two grades of supertech, the economy grade is $33 and the heavy duty is $44.

IIRC some tractor owners were saying run the 10w-30 equivalent tractor fluid in both sumps because its close enough in viscosity, readily available, and offers GL-4 level gear protection. And also "climbs" to higher bearing in the transmission better during winter operation?

(Word to the wise, DON'T get into a conversation with your local John Deere dealer parts guy about the cross-reference between gear oil and motor oil viscosities)

Thanks for the replies, this tractor fluid sub forum hasn't quite taken off yet.

Gear train systems and hydraulic pumps promote high permanent shear rate.
Other than appropriate operating viscosities, I'm inclined to consider shear-stable mono grades or low VI oils for above applications.

Last edited:
What about an 80w-90 for the transmission and a UTF/UTHF for the hydraulic/Power director?

Hydraulic fluid is taken care of, got some Rotella HD.

I am down to deciding between locally available 90wt GL4, and 80w-90 GL-5 with MT-1 rating. Because of the MT-1 rating I believe both of these will be safe for the yellow metal bushings and the like in this trans/diff. I don't know what GL the original Spec 80wt would have been, but which does everyone recommend?

All currently available GL5 gear oils ,with or without MT1/J2360, are friendly to yellow metals in transmission / differentials,
Whilst the final drive is fine with a GL4(of thicker 90 mono grade in this case), however a differential or trans/differential with hypoid gear would require a GL5, though a thinner 80W90.
It may make sense to purchase a GL5, whether 80W90 (or my personal preference of 85W90 or SAE 90) for both applications in trans/differential AND final drive.
An HDEO is generally more shear-stable and hence is preferred to a UTF or PCMO.
However I generally prefer a dedicated hydraulic oil in ISO 68 or ISO 100 grades, likely at lower cost, in this application, though your choice of Rotella HD isn't harmful and detrimental.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: zeng
All currently available GL5 gear oils ,with or without MT1/J2360, are friendly to yellow metals in transmission / differentials,
Whilst the final drive is fine with a GL4(of thicker 90 mono grade in this case), however a differential or trans/differential with hypoid gear would require a GL5, though a thinner 80W90.
It may make sense to purchase a GL5, whether 80W90 (or my personal preference of 85W90 or SAE 90) for both applications in trans/differential AND final drive.
An HDEO is generally more shear-stable and hence is preferred to a UTF or PCMO.
However I generally prefer a dedicated hydraulic oil in ISO 68 or ISO 100 grades, likely at lower cost, in this application, though your choice of Rotella HD isn't harmful and detrimental.

I haven't seen any 85w-90 locally, but 80w-90 probably is the better bet isn't it. I actually already put GL-5 85w-140 in the final drives because they are just a couple massive gears riding in one quart of oil bath.

My mistake, I didn't specify, the Rotella HD is a UTF/Hydraulic fluid with a viscosity of 10w-30. Not the Rotella diesel engine oil. I'm sure Anti-wear ISO 68 or 100 hydro oil would have worked to, but only at a lower cost if a house brand like traveller or harvest king. Not that there is anything wrong with house brands.

Thank you

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back