Syn vs dino gear lube?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: MolaKule
Originally Posted By: spasm3
I thought i would bring back this thread.

I just had my rear end rebuilt by east coast gear. They recommend that i use dino oil as opposed to synthetic. They claim it does not stay on the gear as well as dino.

They do recommend lucas gear oil. I generally don't allow anything lucas near my vehicles. They do a lot of differential work. I had new gears, bearings and a tracrite posi unit installed.

After 500 miles i will change the gear oil. They only recommend dino- 75-140 oil. I'm thinking valvoline or castrol non syn gear oil.

Thoughts?

Was the recommendation for mineral oil diffy lube just for run-in or for the life of the diffy?

Did they give any technical reason for recommending mineral oils over synthetics?

All gear oils, whether synthetic or mineral have surfactants so the splashed lubricant coats all parts and brings the EP additives to the high load contact points and surfaces.

They recommend dino for the breakin and the life of the diff. They do good work. The rear end is so quiet, no sound on power or especially no sounds on coasting.

I think they must have a cushy deal with lucas.

Here is their tech sheet. They spell dino as dyno all through the article.

https://eastcoastgearsupply.com/files/PDF Files/ecgs-gear-oil-recommendation1.pdf

Here is their break- in guide.

https://eastcoastgearsupply.com/files/PDF Files/break-in-procedure.pdf

Last edited:
I use only Valvoline gear oils in all of my cars. Great performance on the limited slip in my Marauder, and super quiet in the transfer case and rear end of my all wheel drive Santa Fe. I realize you are going with conventional, but I went with 75-140 Synpower on the Marauder and 75-90 SynPower in the Santa Fe. I might add that I drag race the Marauder a couple times a year and pull a two horse trailer with the Santa Fe, and now has 191k on the original drivetrain. I trust Valvoline’s products to perform and protect. I think you’ll be happy with a Valvoline product.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: 69Torino
I use only Valvoline gear oils in all of my cars. Great performance on the limited slip in my Marauder, and super quiet in the transfer case and rear end of my all wheel drive Santa Fe. I realize you are going with conventional, but I went with 75-140 Synpower on the Marauder and 75-90 SynPower in the Santa Fe. I might add that I drag race the Marauder a couple times a year and pull a two horse trailer with the Santa Fe, and now has 191k on the original drivetrain. I trust Valvoline’s products to perform and protect. I think you’ll be happy with a Valvoline product.

Thanks, I bought some Valvoline today at AA. Will go in saturday morning

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back