Engine Oil "catch cans"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: wemay
I removed both of mine. After a teaspoon of byproducts was all it collected over two OCi.

...and WELCOME TO THE FORUM

Great coincidence. I own the same year/ model SFS and my son has the same year/model Sonata.

I installed a catch can on my SFS and like you got only about 1 ounce per 5K OCI synthetic. At first............. but as time goes by, it increases. Still very little. But if you add it up over the years, it is a significant amount. It takes very little oil to make a mess. Catch cans are not a perfect solution, but they perform a valuable service, especially on TDI engines.

BTW - a catch can with a dipstick like the ADD W1 is much preferred.

Last edited:
I did the math on mine. At 202k miles if I had one on from day 1 and it generated the same amount of oil per mile, it would have kept 1.6L of oil from being routed into my intake manifold and burned.

Originally Posted By: DoubleWasp
Similar results found when servicing CCV filters on commercial rigs (which are cylindrical cartridge filters, changed like a cartridge oil filter).

If you want a "catch can " that actually works, this is it:

That unit should work great, fitting it in somewhere, the drain plumbing it and cartridge life are the only issues I can see, it looks like a good unit. Thanks for posting that I have some uses (non automotive) for such a unit.

It is acting as a media coalescing filter as opposed to an empty can with possibly some steel wool or screen in it.

I have two on my Gn coupe turbo. The turbo side is pure oil and not much at all in 5k mile ocis. But the PCV side collects quite a bit depending on humidity. Sometimes up to a cup or more per 5K.

Location of the can is very important as yo are trying to condense a gas and you want the can low and in a cool area.

Originally Posted By: user52165
Originally Posted By: wemay
I removed both of mine. After a teaspoon of byproducts was all it collected over two OCi.

...and WELCOME TO THE FORUM

Great coincidence. I own the same year/ model SFS and my son has the same year/model Sonata.

I installed a catch can on my SFS and like you got only about 1 ounce per 5K OCI synthetic. At first............. but as time goes by, it increases. Still very little. But if you add it up over the years, it is a significant amount. It takes very little oil to make a mess. Catch cans are not a perfect solution, but they perform a valuable service, especially on TDI engines.

BTW - a catch can with a dipstick like the ADD W1 is much preferred.

Think of the amount of water and oil mix it didn't catch and you didn't see. That's the problem with these things, it catches an ounce and people are all OMG about what it caught but don't think about all the stuff that got past it.
The bathtub overflowed and they are worried about the drops falling off the mop.

I have a Moroso catch can on my Suburban. One day, I started the truck and it looked like I was crop dusting. First time it had happened. I removed the throttle body and found my intake coated with oil. My brother told me about the updated driver side valve cover that was supposed to prevent that. I changed the valve cover to the new one and added the catch can in the PCV line as well.
At every oil change, I drain the can and I always get about a half a paper coffee cup of oil/ moisture foam. I knew the valve cover by itself wasn't going to cure that problem. Been on there about fifty thousand miles and no ill effects.

Originally Posted By: Trav
user52165 said:
Think of the amount of water and oil mix it didn't catch and you didn't see. That's the problem with these things, it catches an ounce and people are all OMG about what it caught but don't think about all the stuff that got past it.
The bathtub overflowed and they are worried about the drops falling off the mop.

Yes. Then think of how many engines all over the world run great without a catch can!

I have used them on boosted engines that blew a lot of oil around at high boost pressures, but they are a seldom needed option on most cars...

A money making solution looking for a problem IMO, lots of people part with their hard earned cash for them though. You cant over pay for that feel good factor when you close the hood, its priceless.

I want to thank y'all for the many insightful comments concerning the oil catch can for my Daughters EcoBoost Mustang.

Obviously there are many opinions on this subject. I guess my take on it is it shouldn't hurt to put on (except for possible warranty issues) for piece of mind although it would be better to not have to spend the money if not necessary.

This is our Daughters first new car and she's planning on keeping it for a long time so wants to do best for it's longevity.

I've been a Mobil 1 user for a lot of years in all our vehicles and will of course continue to do so.

Anyway, thanks again for the comments and opinions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back