ATF flush or D&F

Status
Not open for further replies.
If the Toyota dealer does a flush then do a flush. On my corolla the dealer only does D&Fs, thus I do D&Fs only. Never a problem with trans.

Originally Posted By: cpayne5
Not sure why people equate changing the fluid in these transmissions to rocket science. It's not.

Because transmissions are not designed to be serviced outside of the dealership anymore and sometimes they just swap them instead of diagnosing them. You don't even need to be on a level surface as long as you accurately measure what comes out and new and old fluids are the same temperature. It's not rocket science but the keyboard warriors cling to the notion that you have to do it the way they do it at the dealership in your driveway or else you will ruin your transmission.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Yah-Tah-Hey
NEVER EVER let anyone hook a flushing machine to your AT. Drain and fill periodically will suffice.

01.gif

I have very often measured what was drained and replaced that amount. You have to account for clingage loss, which is estimating the amount of fluid that sticks to the pan and the bottles.

Originally Posted By: Kestas
I have very often measured what was drained and replaced that amount. You have to account for clingage loss, which is estimating the amount of fluid that sticks to the pan and the bottles.

That's the way I do it too.

Originally Posted By: Kestas

Just to add to this post - do it on a cold engine in winters.
Your are no sweating and fired up while the engine is pushing out all the ATF out of the lines.
The catch up game is annoying - I just run the car dry will air bubbles and then fill in the 4Q. Do the same again and once 4Q is filled up, refill 4Q. The 2Q - 1 minute dance is too much for its worth.

Your first auto trans service should include the filter as most slushboxes generate their debris early in their life.

Here we do a pan drop/filter change at 30k and then a full fluid replacement at 60k. But we have a very severe duty cycle.

GO DAWGS !!

If you take it to Heyward Allen Toyota in Athens, ask for Levi..good guy.

I have a 2013 Tacoma that I am going to do a drain and fill next week. I plan on going with the Toyota Type 4. I have 3 Nissans that I have did drain and fills with Valvoline Maxlife fluid and they shift as smoothly as ever.

Originally Posted By: supton
Pull cooler inlet line, drop into a marked container (like an empty Maxlife container?). I don't know if I would want to drain more than a quart at a time. I think it's a minute of run time on the engine to get a quart? .

why do you say "don't know if I would want to drain more than qt at a time?

Originally Posted By: ugabulldog
Originally Posted By: supton
Pull cooler inlet line, drop into a marked container (like an empty Maxlife container?). I don't know if I would want to drain more than a quart at a time. I think it's a minute of run time on the engine to get a quart? .

why do you say "don't know if I would want to drain more than qt at a time?

Don't know what would happen if oil pressure got low. If you pump until you get bubbles then something is running dry.

If you drain the pan, then fill back to full, then the trans ought to be able to handle being a quart low (since that's what the low level or add level is there for).

I've heard autos don't like being overfilled but at idle and not going anywhere I don't know if matters if you can overfill by a quart and then drain two at a time. All I know is, if I'm only doing this every 2-3 years / 50k or similar, then it's not exactly a huge amount of time spent.

Doing cooler line flushes without running dry is easy. Just drop the pan and measure out how much fluid came out of the pan. Half a quart under that number is your "cutoff" amount. When you start the engine and let it run pumping out of the cooler line, shut the engine off when the jug you are pumping into reaches that amount, and then pour that amount into the transmission. Repeat, top off, done.

Originally Posted By: RichR
Toyota says its "lifetime" fluid.

sure its lifetime meaning 100k miles max then you need a overhaul.

all atf fluid breaks down with time and heat.. no atf fluid can last for a life time.

I mean think about it.

plan on tackling this tomorrow, if fluid looks really good, will probably only do d&f, if not will do cooler flush. Should get 3.2 drain from pan, will refill with slightly more (drain excess at end). From what I've read on here and elsewhere, most folks say it's ok to drain slightly less than initial drain for subsequent d&f's..... I will check fluid level according to Toyota TSB. I decided to go with Toyota WS ATF.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back