Once a year changes

Status
Not open for further replies.
For My 2006 Ford Mustang GT. I only drive it about 5000 miles a year and it sits all winter. No short trips either. I normally use Pennzoil platinum And change it once a year. Never done an oil analysis but Would the mobil 1 annual protection be better for my application?
Thanks

Sitting in the garage all winter would require an oil high in rust inhibitors. Not trying to start an oil war. I have experience with Amsoil having a great rust inhibitor package.

I wouldn't even bother changing it every year. No short trips means you can go for a long time, probably 10K easily on a quality normal-drain synthetic like PP.

You could just use dino and a filter appropriate for 5k OCIs, no sense wasting the money on a fancy boutique oil for a 5k OCI.

You can use any oil that meets the specs for your Ford. Rust inhibitors are not needed nor is a boutique oil like Amsoil needed. During the winter, run the engine periodically to keep things charged up.

You should put it away with fresh oil in it, as that does not leave any acid molecules in the bearings, so I recommend keeping to once a year, as you get ready to put it away.

As for which synthetic, it really won't matter.

I agree with maxdustington. Run the synthetic for two years or switch to regular oil with annual oil changes. There's no need to waste resources.

Originally Posted By: PimTac
You can use any oil that meets the specs for your Ford. Rust inhibitors are not needed nor is a boutique oil like Amsoil needed. During the winter, run the engine periodically to keep things charged up.

I would not start the engine unless you plan to get the engine and exhaust up to operating temp for 15-20 minutes. Otherwise you will get condensation. Get one of the better BatteryMinders that does high and low temp compensation and leave that on all winter.

what you are doing sounds reasonable on PP. I second changing right before storage to remove acid.

PP for 5k miles and 1 year should be fine. No need to change brands over that.

The best time to change the oil is a bit before storage, but if your TBN is fine (and it will be given your situation) then it's job is to neutralize the acid in the oil (driving or not driving).

Last edited:
In my opinion, you need to worry about the seals staying pliable not engine wear.

Originally Posted By: Leo99
In my opinion, you need to worry about the seals staying pliable not engine wear.

He's driving it 5000 miles a year though, not 500, so I don't think he'll have a problem in that regard. Other than the winter months, it doesn't sound like his car goes very long between being taken out for a drive. I know of quite a few Corvette owners that barely put any miles on their cars per year (under 2000) and they never have any issues.

Yeah as far as the winter goes I disconnect the battery and it sits from December 1 to April 1. Starts up every time, i’ll make sure I changed right before storage though

I'm gonna go against the grain here and vote that... The OP needs to stop wasting his ONE CHANCE AT LIFE on this earth and freakin drive that Pony into the ground!!! Daily that sucker rain or shine. Enjoy it!! Screw trying to keep the miles down. You're just saving it for the next guy to ENJOY and probably wrap the Stang around a pole one day.

Keeping a car locked away in storage instead of injoying it is IDIOTISM to me. It's like having a GORGEOUS Wife waiting for you at home but you only "ride her" a few times a year.
33.gif

I drive it as much as I can in the summer but but with two kids it’s easier to fit the family in the F1 50 as far as driving it in the winter with all the salt not a chance ha

My 02 sits Thanksgiving weekend until late April. That's happened every year since it was delivered. I only drive 1500 miles a year. Any decent oil will work. No need to get too creative.

I change mine right before spring startup. Always have. I know a lot wouldn't do it that way, but my baby has run just fine. I always thought I'd rather run the oil during the first six months rather than the have it sit six months and then run it. Probably matters less than we're all making it out to be.
wink.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back