Engine cover function

Status
Not open for further replies.
On GM LS trucks it's there to cover the wires and stuff that sprawls over the manifold. I left mines off since it looks like a last minute coverup.

You guys have very nice clean engines! I thought I kept mine relatively clean but nothing compare to these pics!

Originally Posted By: Eddie
The front lip of some engine covers are open to the froward flow of air. I wonder if it aides in keeping the wiring etc cooler during driving or when the cooling fans are operating. I always keep my CX5 cover on except for an occasion look. Ed

One mechanic told me this ^
he said the air flow is directed by the cover and cools off the engine better with cover on ...I
Maybe that's true with some cars!?

However my experience has been different with one of our cars that has a big insulated (not a thin plastic) engine cover. I noticed that the fan engaged much more frequently with the cover on and when I removed the cover, I don't hear the fan kicking in as much. I need to do more experiment ...

have another car that has a very thin plastic cover maybe for looks and to cover wires, etc. idk

I can literally stand in my engine bay next to my engine...
laugh.gif

It is there for noise reduction and looks. I take mine off in May and put it back on in November. During the hot months the engine runs a bit cooler, and cools off faster when I shut it off. In the winter it holds the heat a bit longer, which helps if I have errands to run requiring short stops.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back