What is the longest you have had a car battery las

Status
Not open for further replies.
11 years.

And I replaced it on age, not performance/failure to start. OEM Volvo battery. Volvo wagons have the battery under the rear cargo floor - the moderate temperature back there contributes to long life

14 years on Motorcraft battery pair: 2004 to 2012 in 2003 7.3 diesel pickup (likely orig batteries in truck - could have been sold when new model year came out in 2002), then 2012 to present in 1997 7.3 diesel pickup. They could be as old as 16 yrs. I've been expecting them to give up for 6 years, but they don't.

Bought the Miata in '09, it had a OPTIMA YelowTop installed, and it did not look new. I never did check the date code, which is regrettable if only for the sake of the OP's question. But I replaced it in 2017 (8 years in my care) with another YellowTop, which (obviously) is working fine now.

I have had some conventional wet cell lead-acid batteries last six years, starting a tired chevy V8 in sometimes -40C winter weather. While working in the Arctic I once started it, from a field (no block heater) at -47C [-54F]. I had parked it there as the company truck was available to me and I had no intention of firing it up until the day I was scheduled to leave, in the spring. That's Mobil1 0W-40 and proper winter electrical maintenance at work. The truck had 220,000 miles but sometime before I got it it had a replacement motor (blue paint). No idea if it was a swap or a rebuild, but factory replacement GM 350's are black paint and chevy of course orange.

Used it to boost ["jump start" for the Americans reading] a 2006 F250, but even though I could get the Ford to turn over well, it never actually started. Had to drag it indoors and fire up some heaters.

I find that quite remarkable since I always bought conventional batteries with high Cold Cranking Amp capacity, which means the plates are closer together and more numerous than standard lead acids, and they are more susceptible to degradation as a result. As far as the ambient temperature goes, I knew it would start at -40C / -40F so it was a pleasant " cross your fingers" moment and it passed.

All my vehicles have spent extended periods of time in storage, so sitting for months at a time and starting right up is another requirement of mine.

I only use OPTIMA batteries now. Worth the extra cash to me.

I had a car battery last 7. years without slowing down when we sold the car.

I had dual starting batteries in a boat used in the summer on salt water. Batteries sat unused for 5 months in the northeast winters. Usually one of the two had enough juice in the spring to start the engine to recharge them both. I think I had maybe 5 years or so on the batteries, still worked fine when I sold the boat. The new owner knew the age, and that they had been stored outside during the past five winters and was convinced they would be bad, but testing proved him wrong. My understanding is that they lasted at least a few more seasons.

Originally Posted By: eljefino
MIL's lesabre went 12 years with the original battery under the rear seat.

My mom's 2003 lesabre did the same. In 2016 when she traded it in, she swore it had the original battery. I couldn't get the seat out to look at it. I think putting in under the seat and being in a cooler climate made all the difference. Hot temp's shorten the life of the batteries. Don't know why they don't put all batteries under the back seat.

Thanks everyone. It seems like a lot of people are getting quite a few years out of their batteries. My experience up until now has not been like that.

I am debating replacing my Duralast battery that has a 2 year warranty but is about 4 years in now with 450/700 CCA left.

I bought a 1993 Toyota 4WD Base PU with the 22RE engine.
I think I replaced the Delco(?) battery at 11 or 12 years...
I did charge it a few times.

This will never happen again.

Originally Posted By: wtd
Thanks everyone. It seems like a lot of people are getting quite a few years out of their batteries. My experience up until now has not been like that.

Part of it depends on where you live. Hot climates kill a battery. In colder ones they can last a lot longer. Batteries are basically killed in the summer when the heat bakes them. But it doesn't take much power to start a car when it's hot. When it's cold, the output of the battery is less and the power needed to start the car is higher.

Originally Posted By: JeffKeryk
I bought a 1993 Toyota 4WD Base PU with the 22RE engine.
I think I replaced the Delco(?) battery at 11 or 12 years...
I did charge it a few times.

This will never happen again.

You did pretty well.. what will never happen again, you will never change a battery?

4 years is my norm.
The NAPA battery in my mom's Saturn Vue is 5 years and 2 months old, which is the longest that I know of for me.
I just bought another battery today for it though since she lives alone in the country and don't want to worry about it.
It still reads 12.5 volts when it has been sitting for a few days and is probably good for a bit longer, but as said, I don't want to worry about it.

Originally Posted By: Wolf359
I still have the original battery in my Mercedes. Has an 11/2007 date code on it. It's in the trunk though so it doesn't get as hot. The voltage seems to be holding up fine, I usually take a look at it in the winter. It's an AGM battery though, they're supposed to last longer.

I have the original in my 08 Benz ML320 diesel. It's under the front seat and because I don't drive it everyday, I keep it on a tender. MB's and BMW's eat batteries just sitting.

Made it just short of 9 years on the OEM battery on my '09 C300 - died in Feb '17 and when I pulled it had a 3/08 date sticker on the side. Spent the first 7 years of its life in Miami area so was subjected to regular high heat. Replaced with OEM battery from the MB dealer as it was maybe $15-20 more than aftermarket and I figured if the original made it almost 9 years it was a safe bet.

I went 7 years on a couple of OEM Motorcraft batteries in the 80's. Both changed out preemptively. A Johnson Controls/Walmart/Advance auto mid line slosh battery went 10 years in my old Altima that my stepson still drives.

I have OEM Panasonic batteries in my '14 Scion xB and '13 Scion xD that are doing well. I've read reports that they can go many years. Basic slosh batteries. Shame that you can't buy Panasonic auto batteries in the US. I have an old 11 or 12 yr. old Panasonic AGM battery that I used in an old BMW R75 bike that I had for years. Top it off twice a year for kicks, still holds 12.6 v. They were standby batteries that happened to fit the old BMW's.

I've had all the luck with AGM's in bikes, no luck at all with them at all in cars/trucks.

i still have a 15 year old redtop in a seldom used now van.
it is still testing fine with my impedance tester.
and started with no issues at -15f last winter.
do not expect this service out of a newer mexico redtop though!
i see far too many going bad at the 2 year mark.
even with a 3 year replacement this is still a bad value.
i get better service from random used batteries from one of our local battery dealers here in dayton.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back