Buying oil overseas, shipping to the US?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've had my eye on an engine oil that's sold only in Japan, and that no company seems to want to import here. Let's say I am willing and able to spend the money to buy it in Japan, throw it on a ship to the US, and pick it up here. I'd be using it ONLY for my own personal use, and not selling or giving away any of it.

Anyone familiar with the relevant procedures, regulations, fees, etc.? Any special restrictions, or is it just a matter of coughing up the money and going through the motions?

You will pay for the shipping and paperwork. All of that is being handled by the shipper/importer. So you should not worry about it. If it is coming from Japan then the time frame for delivery might extend. The distributor should have some on hand here.

Which oil?

Originally Posted By: PimTac
You will pay for the shipping and paperwork. All of that is being handled by the shipper/importer. So you should not worry about it. If it is coming from Japan then the time frame for delivery might extend. The distributor should have some on hand here.

I'd have thought so, but for example Rakuten seems to be suggesting to me that it can't be shipped here at all. Maybe I just haven't dug hard enough.

Originally Posted By: PimTac
Which oil?

http://www.mazda.co.jp/carlife/service/parts/detail/oil/lineup/synthe-renesis/

Have it brought over by ship (ocean freight) ? Get some price quotes and I think you'll reconsider that option. As it will be consolidated into a container with other shipments, it will need palletized. A pallet takes up 48" x 32" of floor space and then the height to determine the "volume". You're looking at $500-1000 in shipping costs.

You definitely need to use small-package delivery like UPS, Fedex, etc. That will obviously involve air shipping so depending on the weight/dimensions, it will still be hundreds of dollars.

I've been tempted to do this with Maxlife 5w40 A3/B4.

Not really worth the extra cost and hassle though. Dare I say oil is oil?
27.gif

I've now seen/heard from multiple importers that they ship no oils of any kind. Haven't heard an explanation yet. There's gotta be a reason.

Don't want to turn this thread into a referendum on oil choice. I'd rather focus on the question I asked.

You might bet better off just going to Japan, buying the oil, and bringing it back home with you or shipping it to yourself.

There will probably be no customs duty on it since it's under $200 (if you're just buying enough for an oil change or two)

Originally Posted By: d00df00d
I've now seen/heard from multiple importers that they ship no oils of any kind. Haven't heard an explanation yet. There's gotta be a reason.

Well maybe for a fee you can find an expediter there in Japan to purchase the oil for you and ship it out on the sly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back