Just Bought a Chromebook

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: csandste
but the combo of Linux and Chrome OS make me miss Windows not one little bit.

Chrome OS **is** a Linux distribution, technically. It's the Linux kernel with the Chrome browser - and very little else - running atop it. These days there are improvements underway that will allow one to run Android (another Linux-running OS) apps and some compiled-for-Linux apps on it, too.

Chromebooks are perfect for us. We are still on dial-up speeds out here in the boonies and mostly stick to all text sites if possible.

We can't send or receive pics (VERY slow) so no need for a high end computer with a big hard drive etc.

Love my 2014 Acer Chromebook (on it now) best machine for chilling on the couch. I dual boot Linux on it as well, for when i need a "bit" more flexibility.

Wife has a ASUS Chromebook, loves it as well.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: TurboFOX
I dual boot Linux on it as well, for when i need a "bit" more flexibility

Wow. Great

Having a few Android apps on there that I really needed a Chrome equivalent for really transformed my Chromebook, now I use it more than my Windows machine.

Chief among these being OpenConnect for work, they are too cheap to pay for the Apex licenses to allow mobile connects. I just tell OpenConnect to send a Windows user agent to the remote VPN and boom, I'm in.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back