New Car Paint Spots

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes, new car. Only a few spots...rather try first than take to dealer. Night.

Already ordered Iron X...will be here on Saturday...than will treat the areas. Will update soon. Again, thanks for the help. You all are great.

Originally Posted By: rooflessVW
Originally Posted By: TheLawnRanger
For the money you paid, I would take it back and let them fix it. It's their responsibility.

And a few months later, he'll probably see this:
a90759b9.jpg

There has to be a story behind that Corvette.
Please tell...

Originally Posted By: PimTac
Originally Posted By: montero1
Naval Jelly.

DON’T unless you want to ruin your paint job. The iron remover products are much safer for the paint coat. Use as directed.

Not once in 28 years has naval jelly ruined paint for me. I use it once a year on my painted BMW wheels,(leaving it on for 15 minutes) and they still look like new. Tiny spots like the OP is talking about would take about 3 minutes to come off. I've also used naval jelly on Polished Aluminum wheels that had a clearcoat, no issues.

Originally Posted By: Stevie
There has to be a story behind that Corvette.
Please tell...

No story, just ran a search for "rotary buffer damage."

I see it all the time around town - hacks will run a rotary and a glaze or wax will hide the damage for a few weeks or months, then this rears its ugly head.

Not once in 28 years has naval jelly ruined paint for me. I use it once a year on my painted BMW wheels,(leaving it on for 15 minutes) and they still look like new. Tiny spots like the OP is talking about would take about 3 minutes to come off. I've also used naval jelly on Polished Aluminum wheels that had a clearcoat, no issues.

Wheel paint and body paint are not the same thing. I can use a light scouring pad on my wheels without scratching them - but the same tool would rape my Carrera's finish.

Escalation of force here. Use the mildest product or a product specifically designed for the purpose first.

Originally Posted By: PimTac
Naval Jelly.

DON’T unless you want to ruin your paint job. The iron remover products are much safer for the paint coat. Use as directed.

Just to clarify, these are rust spots on his body paint, not the wheels, likely rail dust.

Originally Posted By: mbacfp
Already ordered Iron X...will be here on Saturday...than will treat the areas. Will update soon. Again, thanks for the help. You all are great.

Great, a few more tips. Wash first, spray Iron X, let dwell a few minutes, spread/work in with a wet sponge, don't let dry, rinse, etc...

Follow directions on bottle. I just do the lower half of the car. Those tiny spots even get on the bumper covers.

Hmm. What if the wheels are painted by a body shop? I'm not talking powder coat, and I have gotten naval jelly on painted surfaces of vehicles that I didn't really care about the paint enough to cover it up, like when I used it on bumpers, or wiper arms. Never an issue with it ruining paint.

A quick update on the rail rust on my paint. I had an oil transaction with a member on here, The Critic. He sent me a nice sized sample of Optimum FerreX along with the oil I purchased as he noticed my thread topic on it. Just wanted to give a huge shout out to The Critic, a very kind and thoughtful gesture. So far, all the spots have come out completely. Hope everyone is doing well.

+1, he sent me some years ago in a small shampoo bottle. I think it was the paste version that's probably a little bit stronger. But the spray is much easier and convenient to use.

A quick update on the rail rust on my paint. I had an oil transaction with a member on here, The Critic. He sent me a nice sized sample of Optimum FerreX along with the oil I purchased as he noticed my thread topic on it. Just wanted to give a huge shout out to The Critic, a very kind and thoughtful gesture. So far, all the spots have come out completely. Hope everyone is doing well.

You're welcome!

Originally Posted By: SatinSilver
+1, he sent me some years ago in a small shampoo bottle. I think it was the paste version that's probably a little bit stronger. But the spray is much easier and convenient to use.

Optimum FerreX only comes in a liquid form. I probably sent you CarPro's IronX paste.

Been off and on working tediously on the paint today. Thanks again to everyone for the help...very much appreciated.

Been off and on working tediously on the paint today. Thanks again to everyone for the help...very much appreciated.

Looking great!

Very nice!!

Impressive!!

Yes...it's great to have white get the shiny love too (thanks to Meguiar's products)...

DeyHXsBUYAMqSDf.jpg

I ordered some of this over the fourth of July sale. Great price of $13 and free shipping less 15% off. Not only that but it worked great. Better than the Iron-x paste and the Sonax Iron Remover. Maybe the warmer temps had something to do with it. But a little went a long way and the stuff did a good job of clinging to the paint.

https://www.autopia-carcare.com/gtechniq-w6-iron-500.html#.W0_cWOSWw2w

Will order again when they have free shipping. I should have bought two bottles but oh well.

Well done Critic.....I remember sending you an item or two in the distant past when you first started. Nice to see you are continuing the tradition of "pass it along".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back