Yellow plus red

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have Buick with the 3800 engine that had dexcool in it. I had a water pump done. When done they filled with O'reilly yellow antifreeze universal that has turned a bit reddish as I guess the heater core retained some dexcool.
My questions
1) can I use ZEREX G-05 to top off
2) should I flush and use it
3) should I go back to dexcool
4) should I add O'reilly yellow antifreeze universal to top off

What year Buick?

It matters because the manifold gaskets which dissolved in the presence of Dex-Cool (thank you GM for that thoughtful design work) were changed to new materials after a certain year.

I don't know how Dex + G-05 + O'Reilly yellow play together.

I would flush it and fill it with ZEREX G-05. That's what I have in my '05 Impala and it works well.

Zerex and Prestone prefer to use the term "Global" to describe antifreeze while some brands like O" Reilly or Durex or Napa, pep boys etc calls it "universal" either way they are the same thing and work with all makes models.

Some folks calls it a kaiser blade and some folks calls it a "sling blade".

I would drain it, fill with water. Drive a few days, repeat. Once it looks clear go with cheap walmart universal green and water. I don't like the non green conventional coolants, when green is proven.

Originally Posted by DONWATERS
I would drain it, fill with water. Drive a few days, repeat. Once it looks clear go with cheap walmart universal green and water. I don't like the non green conventional coolants, when green is proven.

Walmart green is Dex-Cool, just dyed greenish yellow and no GM approval for warranty service.

The OP shouldn't have a problem with using "universal" antifreeze, as long as it has 2-EHA and sodium neodecoanate in it. NO G-05.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back