Hyundai and Quaker State 5W30 A5

Status
Not open for further replies.
I test drove a Hyundai Elantra Sport back in January. I looked at the owners to see what oil it specifies and
the Sport has a 201 HP 1.6 direct injected turbo engine. That engine specifies a 5W30 with an A5 rating.

And I noticed Quaker State was printed in the owners manual as the recommended brand.
Quaker State doesn't have a 5W30 A5 oil available.
The owners manual stated to use other weights if a 5W30 A5 oil isn't available such as 5W40 and a few other thicker weights.

I'm guessing this oil recommendation applies to other turbo equipped Hyundai vehicles?
Many dealers and quick lubes are installing a 5W30 A1 oil I bet.

We have a 2.4L Hyundai and Quaker State oil is recommended everywhere even under the hood!
The car has never seen a drop of QS ...
grin.gif

Use whatever that meets the spec and above all makes you feel good. lol

Right, you don't have to use QS oils at all. I believe that Hyundai uses QS 5W30 A5 from the factory and has some business interest in doing so. However, use any brand of oil that meet what your owner's manual recommends.

What is A1 to A5 anyway?
I ask 'cause IDK!

ACEA A5/B5:
PP 5w30 meets it. Says so on the bottle.
M1 says so on their website too.

I found the recommendation to be silly as well since most owners will not care for the details and completely bypass the A5 portion.

I DO NOT own a Hyundai. I brought this up because this is an oil forum. ACEA A1 differs from ACEA A5 just as ACEA A3 is different, too.

Hyundai has a partnership with Shell. In other parts of the world, Shell is the recommended oil. In the U.S. market, it is Quaker State. I'm surprised they don't recommend Pennzoil Platinum 5W-30.

*If Hyundai vehicles could ONLY use QS oil - then Hyundai would have to supply it to you - use another oil that meets the spec (synthetic 5W30).
Originally Posted By: skyactiv
I test drove a Hyundai Elantra Sport back in January. I looked at the owners to see what oil it specifies and
the Sport has a 201 HP 1.6 direct injected turbo engine. That engine specifies a 5W30 with an A5 rating.

And I noticed Quaker State was printed in the owners manual as the recommended brand.
The owners manual stated to use other weights if a 5W30 A5 oil isn't available such as 5W40 and a few other thicker weights.

I'm guessing this oil recommendation applies to other turbo equipped Hyundai vehicles?

Originally Posted By: Falcon_LS
Hyundai has a partnership with Shell. In other parts of the world, Shell is the recommended oil. In the U.S. market, it is Quaker State. I'm surprised they don't recommend Pennzoil Platinum 5W-30.

This ^^^

The whole point to the thread is that there is no Quaker State 5W30 A5 oil one can buy in the USA which is the recommended
oil according to Hyundai.
I do not own a Hyundai, I find it interesting Hyundai recommends something you cant obtain.
I know all about the warranty laws plus Pennzoil and Mobil having a correct product.

Probably because they don't want to give the impression that the car needs/requires such an up-market oil. If owners want to put something better in than they specify then by all means go for it. But 99% of owners won't care what oil it gets as long as it meets the requirements. In other words not oil snobs.

In my Hyundai, I run the QSUD 5W-30. No it is not A5/B5. Those oils are too thin at temp. I wanted something thicker[gasp].

Here is what my manual says:

Given how hodge podge those requirements are, I don't worry about meeting all of them. Like you said, there are no A5/B5 5W-40 or 10W-30 oils.

I would just run any d1G2 5W-30 and not worry about it. But do mind the OCI recommended.

Hyundai's oil requirements are weird and ambiguous for some reason.

I dumped the FF on my Elantra recently and used QSUD 5w30
smile.gif

I’d avoid those Theta powered DI Hyundai’s like the plague. I watched a 1,6 go to [censored] personally doing all the maintenance myself and using their filters. This has been going on years now and they still can’t figure out why they wipe #2 or3 con rod bearings or as in our case started plugging up the Oil galleries presumably from piston scrapings. Avoid these cars like the plague, especially the Elantra. Why , because the Sonata recall extends warranty out to 10/ 120k US. No recall on recall Elantra ........and they fail almost as often.

Originally Posted By: Driz
I’d avoid those Theta powered DI Hyundai’s like the plague. I watched a 1,6 go to [censored] personally doing all the maintenance myself and using their filters. This has been going on years now and they still can’t figure out why they wipe #2 or3 con rod bearings or as in our case started plugging up the Oil galleries presumably from piston scrapings. Avoid these cars like the plague, especially the Elantra. Why , because the Sonata recall extends warranty out to 10/ 120k US. No recall on recall Elantra ........and they fail almost as often.

The engines made in GA are full of metal shavings from machining and they clog oil passages. The best oil in the world can't protect an engine if it is kept from getting to where it needs to be. Fortunately, by Santa Fe was made in Korea, not GA.

Both OMs for our Sonata and Tuscon have the QS logo located at several places. My guess is that QS pays a fee to Hyundai to be mentioned in the OM. When I bought our Forester last fall it did not have a OM , so not sure what brand Subaru is plugging. I reckon every automaker plugs some brand in the OM or else they plug their own oil brand like Ford would push Motorcraft. at any rate one can use whatever brand you wish as long as it meets specification.

My Hyundai Elantra Sport (Canada) owner's manual really showed the requirement should be ACEA A5.

They just released the new redesigned formula of their Pennzoil Platinum oil (not Ultra) for TGDI engine to the grading of API SN PLUS standard. It's specific address for the Low-Speed Pre-Ignition (LSPI) well known issue for GDI engine. You can find more details from this forum and their official web site regarding the new formula.

It meet the requirement of ACEA A5 which showing on the bottle label. Also need to notice the manufacturing date is on May or after. If yes, the donut label will show API SN PLUS too.

Will switch from Pennzoil Ultra Platinum to the new redesigned Pennzoil Platinum 5W30 in the coming week.

My Genesis has the 3.8 Lambda RS GDi... phew

And it just specs 5w30 SM oil... yes, SM folks. 6qts. I normally run Havoline Syn in her.

Sure the Quaker State "advertisement" is there. This is from an older Ginny (pre GDi) but same basic concept.

mkdog8h3nbdkcxach36z.png

Oh, and Hyundai dumb miss-truthers spreading rubbish. The Elantra have never had the Theta II engine (Sonata recalled engine.... aka the 2.0/2.4). Only the Nu and Gamma engines. So, I don't know what folks have been talking about but the 5th gen Elantras have been work-horses. The Nu (2.0) engines are great. Same goes with a lot of the Gamma 1.6 vehicles (Velosters Accents). I have not heard too many complaints from the Veloster forums.

Any the reason why Hyundai does not spec PP... people still associate running cost with Hyundais. I am glad that Hyundai allows "regular" oil and does not try to hid engineering issues behind overspec-ed/licensed oil. (Looking at you GM/Ford).

Originally Posted By: Brigadier
In my Hyundai, I run the QSUD 5W-30. No it is not A5/B5. Those oils are too thin at temp. I wanted something thicker[gasp].

All ILSAC 5w-30 options have almost identical HTHS, and note that A5/B5 has an HTHS of below 3.5, with no requirement for the oil to bump right at 3.0 or 2.9. That's ILSAC fuel economy formulating.

Originally Posted By: skyactiv

Since it's TGDI, you need SN PLUS and/or dexos1 Gen 2.

Quaker State Ultimate Durability 5W-30 has BOQI = 58. (BOQI = 2,000,000/CCS/NOACK for 5W-xx.) It will probably meet or exceed A5/B5, regardless of it's certified for it or not. Pennzoil Platinum with PurePlus 5W-30 has BOQI = 54. Therefore, QSUD 5W-30 has a slightly better base oil than PPPP 5W-30, which is certified for A5/B5, reflected in both NOACK and CCS. It's probably not certified for ACEA because it's not a brand sold in Europe.

Now, the downsides of QSUD: It has a lower TBN than PPPP. It seems to have the likely-cheap-type of moly as opposed to the probably-trinuclear moly in PPPP. They probably had to lower the detergent content to make up for the ash content of the high dose of the likely-cheap-type moly.

I would probably go with PPPP 5W-30 for the peace of mind. It has all the certifications you need, the recommended viscosity, good TBN, and probably-trinuclear moly. Oil-brand recommendations are usually marketing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back