clicking noise front driver side

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a 2007 trailblazer (saab 9-7x) 4.2L.

I replaced my CV shaft assembly thinking it would fix slight vibrations (felt at steering wheel) and clicking noise when turning. I also changed the diff fluid at the same time which took up about 1 quart.

after driving a couple of days I noticed a whining noise start to progress and vibrations got worse, getting worse by the day. as if the wheel bearing was going bad.

I went to inspect the wheel today and when I spin the wheel forward there is a constant loud clicking noise.

Spinning the wheel in reverse the noise is minimal.

When spinning the wheel forward there is at some point in the turn resistance, as if a bearing/gear was bad.

I can feel vibrations at the CV shaft assembly where it meets the diff.

whether it's the diff I'm not sure. checked diff fluid is fine and topped off.

I found a video that closely resembles the symptom:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MjyUlT_7DMc

I'm thinking there is a chance it could be the new CV shaft assembly and I still have the old one to test.

or it's indeed a problem with the diff, what could it be?

(just to mention; the old C-clip on the CV shaft I took out didn't fall in or anything like that)

thanks for any feedback

Last edited:
forget to mention, there is a whining noise that gets worse the more accelerate.

i thought it was the wheel bearing initially.

could it still be the wheel bearing and the clicking noise is a separate issue?

Originally Posted By: spasm3
What brand cv shaft did you use?

I think it's Prime Choice.
https://www.amazon.ca/Prime-Choice-Auto-...rds=DSK112112PR

I changed both sides.i have no issues on the passenger side.
they seem to be okay quality compared to the old ones (which I still have).

but I think the problem is indeed a bearing either from the diff or from wheel.

the whining noise gets worse as I accelerate.

I don't know if the clicking noise is the same problem that turns into the whining noise.

or it could indeed just be a bad wheel bearing causing the whining noise.

or at worst, gears at the diff. which i doubt since i did not see any metal shavings.

Originally Posted By: tookien

Sub-Prime Choice
31.gif

Get the OEM axles and be glad you can still get new OEM axles. Ford and GM are pretty good at offering brand new OEM axles at a reasonable price.

Originally Posted By: slacktide_bitog

Sub-Prime Choice
31.gif

Get the OEM axles and be glad you can still get new OEM axles. Ford and GM are pretty good at offering brand new OEM axles at a reasonable price.

But, do you think it's the axle that is the real problem here?

I am interested to read the responses here, I just had my front left wheel bearing replaced and now hear occasional clicks from that area at low speed when I am turning left in particular. I checked the lugs to make sure none were loose and am thinking about taking it back to the shop that did the work, but they are well out of my usual way.

Originally Posted By: Virtus_Probi
I am interested to read the responses here, I just had my front left wheel bearing replaced and now hear occasional clicks from that area at low speed when I am turning left in particular. I checked the lugs to make sure none were loose and am thinking about taking it back to the shop that did the work, but they are well out of my usual way.

I checked the issue at the mechanic.

Both said it's a wheel bearing that is causing the noise on acceleration after taking test drive.

I asked if it could be the front diff they said no.

I happen to have new wheel bearings I'll install tonight because that was what I thought the issue was before I spun the axle.

Hopefully that solves it.

The issue youre having sounds lik the issue i was having with the CV axle. If it's bad it will make clicking sound when turning.

The clicking noise I have now comes from the diff most likely though and this issue is seperate from the noise on acceleration it seems.

I've had clicking noise in the past when bad alignment and rotors were warped. Or caliper slide pins were seized.

What I find with fixing cars diy is that many times one problem solved leads to the next.

Especially when you have lots of rust. Dirt can get into the bearings and mess things up.

Refilled diff with just ONE qt. No clue what diff needs, but a qt seems too little. For grins, I'd re-check the level.
grin2.gif

Originally Posted By: andyd
Refilled diff with just ONE qt. No clue what diff needs, but a qt seems too little. For grins, I'd re-check the level.
grin2.gif

no, it's definitely a little less than 1 quart for the front diff.

when the fluid gets to the top of the fill plug it's full.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Virtus_Probi

you can also check the axle nut if it was torqued properly.

Originally Posted By: slacktide_bitog

Sub-Prime Choice
31.gif

considering each OEM axle would cost me about $350 dollars (acdelco), I really don't think it's worth to put those in a car that is falling apart or on its way to the junk yard.

and plus I saved an old axle so if one of them fails I'll just stick the old good one back in.

i reckon a couple of years left max...GM is garbage for the most part, I have to say, they don't build them like they used to anymore.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back