FRAM Ultra XG7317 at 10K miles cut open

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is my first time opening an oil filter and bought a oil filter opener on eBay to try out. Just really checking to see if we got our monies worth and if it's actually doing its job. I know FRAM gets a lot of bad rep and I went along with it too in the past but when I heard and read about how well the Ultras and Tough Gaurds did for the money I had to give it a shot. Never looked back since then and don't regret. Never had an issue with these filters. Going to do a UOA on the oil soon.

Vehicle:
2007 Honda Accord coupe 4cyl

OCI on filter:
2 runs
1st - 3K miles
2nd - 7K miles

Filter:
FRAM Ultra XG7317

Oil:
Valvoline FS w/ML 0W-20 D1G2 on both runs

Last edited:
Does not look like anything funky in there. Looks [censored] solid as well. Thanks for sharing!

Last edited:
Congratulations on cutting your first filter, and thats a good looking cutting tool.
banana2.gif

I am a fan of one filter, one oil change, but yours looks great! Looking forward to the UOA.
thumbsup2.gif

I honestly don't know which cutter this is? I bought it off of eBay and the item was located stateside. When it arrived it was in an old faded plastic bag/wrap with blue tape. Cost roughly $40 and was one of the common cutters that came up on the search. I just got back from deployment and was eager to look at our filters.

Thanks for the C&P. I would use that filter for 3 OCI next time.

Just installed an Ultra on my wife's civic. I'll be leaving it on for two full years which is usually 20,000 km or 12,500 MI in two years. I will probably do 3 oil changes during the two years since a it does a lot of short trips.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: bullwinkle
I have that cutter-it works pretty well, but you'll go through cutting wheels with it. Good looking Ultra, that's what mine all look like!

Thanks. Do they really go through that many wheels? I was thinking about that as well as I wasn't sure the wheels were replaceable.

Originally Posted By: crazy_raccoon
Originally Posted By: bullwinkle
I have that cutter-it works pretty well, but you'll go through cutting wheels with it. Good looking Ultra, that's what mine all look like!

Thanks. Do they really go through that many wheels? I was thinking about that as well as I wasn't sure the wheels were replaceable.
Yes, because there's only one wheel. On mine it's held in with a screw, and it is a common size for tubing cutters, I just get them from my local (refrigeration/A/C) supply house.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back