Mobil 1 EP good enough for non-aggressive drivers?

Status
Not open for further replies.
My question is is Mobil 1 Extended Performance good enough to go 15k if you have an engine in good shape, do a lot of highway driving and don't have many cold starts and/or short trips? Was going to continue with Castrol Edge Extended Performance in my 2010 Camry 3.5 V6 with 114k, but couldn't find the 5W-30 viscosity in time for another must take trip and so switched to Mobil 1 EP instead. Have read on here somewhere that Mobil 1 has bad oil analysis results, but am wondering if those are on cars where people drive pretty hard. I drive real, real easy and live in St. Louis and keep the car garaged so there's virtually never a cold start below 50 degrees. Will the Mobil 1 EP go 15k in my car okay or should I switch back to Castrol Edge way sooner. Any and all input will be welcomed. FYI, on Castrol Edge EP, this engine went 15,200 miles without using a drop of oil and the oil really isn't even dark yet. It's a little darker than when brand new, but the color even after 15k doesn't look bad at all.

Both great oils. But frankly the Edge (pun intended) goes to Mobil. Yes I can regularly get Mobil EP for $25.XX with a $10 rebate. Having said they Castrol rebate just are never worth the effort a free hat or T-shirt.

Last edited:
You should have no worries running that M1. It’s a excellent oil. There are a group of anti- M1 posters here but consider that millions of vehicles run millions of miles on M1 with great reliability.

Use with confidence.

Any brand name oil is good for any car out there on the road. The vast majority of people out in the world probably have no idea and don't care what oil is in their car as long as it is there. They run their car just about any way imaginable without problems. This being BITOG, we nitpick just about everything we can. IMHO of course.

Originally Posted By: Jasper8146
Thanks that already makes me feel better. I do remember now that ad for the million mile engine on Mobil 1.

Anytime. To be more specific, knowing the make and model of your vehicle would help. If it is a GDI or turbo GDI engine then 15k may not be the ideal oci. Also your driving routine, climate and usage of the vehicle like towing for example all play a part. The choice of the M1 EP is a good one but the change interval would depend on the other factors.

you seem to just be fishing for what you want to hear, but you are tripling the oci over the manufacturer's schedule. the million mile bmw was changed on schedule, not extended 3x

I think you have to send in for uoa when you're done to know for sure versus just opinions.

Why 5W-30? Your car recommends 0W-20.

Both M1 AFE 0W-20 and M1 EP 0W-20 have a lot more PAO in them and are far better oils than M1 EP 5W-30. You can do a much longer OCI with 0W-20.

You bring up an excellent question. Mine is a 2010 Camry V6 and the recommendation is for 5W-30 based on all available info that I have seen. On the 2011 Camry, they changed the rec to OW-20 even though it is the same engine with the same power rating and output. So that's why 5W-30. Would be concerned about changing to a much thinner oil at over 100k when it's been used to the 5W-30. Is the OW-20 really that much better? Why would it be?

It’s the old thin vs thick perpetual debate. For the “average” vehicle the thinner 20 is fine, they are quality lubricants. For an engine that will see high oil temps for whatever reason, going thicker is advisable.
For a really high mileage vehicle, going thicker is advisable.

Engines can run on a range of grades from 20-50, and some of the newest engine designs run 16 (they have higher volume oil pumps is my understanding).

If you just putter around, 20 will serve well. If you rag on your vehicle, go thicker.

0w-20 is often called “better” because you can’t make a 0w-20 with Dino oil,
5w-20 will have a lower Noack
Both will protect your engine.

Originally Posted By: Gokhan
Why 5W-30? Your car recommends 0W-20.

Both M1 AFE 0W-20 and M1 EP 0W-20 have a lot more PAO in them and are far better oils than M1 EP 5W-30. You can do a much longer OCI with 0W-20.

That's not really the case with 0-20EP(which I use) being superior(far better) to 5-30EP. I know guys that run the 5-30 with several hundred Ks at long OCIs with great results.

You bring up an excellent question. Mine is a 2010 Camry V6 and the recommendation is for 5W-30 based on all available info that I have seen. On the 2011 Camry, they changed the rec to OW-20 even though it is the same engine with the same power rating and output. So that's why 5W-30. Would be concerned about changing to a much thinner oil at over 100k when it's been used to the 5W-30. Is the OW-20 really that much better? Why would it be?

My bad. I was looking at the four-cylinder engine. However, the same engine uses 0W-20 in the next year, there is probably no problem. I use 0W-20 in a 1985 Corolla that recommended 10W-30 with excellent UOA's.

The OCI length is determined by the base-oil quality. In terms of base-oil quality, PAO > GTL > Group III > Group II > Group I. These are the base-oil compositions according to ExxonMobil MSDS:

M1 AFE 0W-20 SN: 30 - 40% PAO, 10 - 20% GTL, 30 - 40% Group III
M1 EP 0W-20 SN: 60 - 70% PAO
M1 AP 0W-20 SN: 60 - 70% PAO
TGMO 0W-20 SN: 80 - 90% Group III

M1 5W-20 SN: 40 - 50% GTL, 1 - 5% Group III

M1 AFE 0W-30 SN: 10 - 20% PAO, 20 - 30% GTL, 30 - 40% Group III

M1 5W-30 SN: 20 -30% PAO
M1 EP 5W-30 SN: 20 - 30% PAO, 1 - 5% Group III
M1 AP 5W-30 SN: 5 - 10% PAO

In summary, M1 EP 0W-20 SN and M1 AP 0W-20 SN have very similar formulations and they are practically all-PAO: You can't do better in base-oil quality, which will allow you the longest OCI's possible. M1 AFE 0W-20 SN is inferior to them.

M1 5W-30 SN and M1 EP 5W-30 SN are very similar and far inferior to M1 EP 0W-20. Surprisingly M1 AP 5W-30 SN is the most inferior of the bunch. Sometimes marketing doesn't equal product performance.

I would say go with M1 EP 0W-20 SN. It will allow you the longest OCI because of its virtually all-PAO composition. Don't worry about the viscosity being too light. HTHSV = 2.7 cP and 3.0 cP for 0W-20 EP and 5W-30 EP -- hardly any difference -- and considering that the 0W-20 will shear a lot less, there will virtually be no difference in oil thickness in actual use.

Have read on here somewhere that Mobil 1 has bad oil analysis results, but am wondering if those are on cars where people drive pretty hard.

UOA results are worthle,,,,,, Um, ahhh, let's be more diplomatic. UOA results do not accurately indicate the rate of engine wear. Especially between brands of oil. UOA results can show certain wear trends, and when significant changes occur, it may be time to investigate.

UOA results can accurately indicate oil viscosity problems, fuel contamination, air filter failure, remaining active acid neutralizing additive and antifreeze in the oil.

Here is a camshaft that is completely destroyed. Yet UOA results never indicated a problem. The UOA Fe number was something like 5ppm on each sample.

DSC00149_resize_with_arrow.jpg

Originally Posted By: Cujet
Have read on here somewhere that Mobil 1 has bad oil analysis results, but am wondering if those are on cars where people drive pretty hard.

UOA results are worthle,,,,,, Um, ahhh, let's be more diplomatic. UOA results do not accurately indicate the rate of engine wear. Especially between brands of oil. UOA results can show certain wear trends, and when significant changes occur, it may be time to investigate.

UOA results can accurately indicate oil viscosity problems, fuel contamination, air filter failure, remaining active acid neutralizing additive and antifreeze in the oil.

Here is a camshaft that is completely destroyed. Yet UOA results never indicated a problem. The UOA Fe number was something like 5ppm on each sample.

Are zinc levels low in piston aircraft oils such as aero-shell?

This has been verified by expert and reasonable posts … But I often wonder if we’d have more of them on this site without the endless trolls who other members try to deal with …

Originally Posted By: 4WD

This has been verified by expert and reasonable posts … But I often wonder if we’d have more of them on this site without the endless trolls who other members try to deal with …

I doubt any uoa could predict a sudden failure of a engine component.

I’m sure we all knew someone who was in perfect health yet died suddenly. These things happen.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back