Honda Motorcycle Shaft Oil change?

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I am planning to do some shaft oil change on a honda motorcycle.

Honda recommends hypoid gear oil. I have some Mercedes 1 Liter Differential Oil (Hypoid Oil) SAE 75W-85 NEW 001 989 17 03 10 laying around, can I use it?

Am I safe using a Mercedes one, instead of 80W90 one?

When the OEM spec is available for $11.37 on Amazon, I fail to see why you would choose to go off spec.
Too much to lose with nearly zero to gain.

If you opt to go the Mercedes oil route, then congratulations, you saved $12!

Originally Posted By: Imp4
When the OEM spec is available for $11.37 on Amazon, I fail to see why you would choose to go off spec.

Cool story bro, can you please elaborate on too much to lose part? Just curious...

Originally Posted By: maverickfhs
Originally Posted By: Imp4

Cool story bro, can you please elaborate on too much to lose part? Just curious...

Sure thing 'bro'.

Me: 'Hey Honda, I changed my shaft drive oil last year and now the drive has failed'

Honda: 'Really? Did you use lube that meets our published spec requirement?'

Me: 'Well no, but my bro on the online message board said it shouldn't be a problem!'

Honda: 'I'm sorry sir but we can't honor a warranty if you use lube that does not meet the published requirements.'

Me: 'But I'm really sure that it failed for a reason unrelated to the lubricant used. And my bro from the message board really flamed me when I suggested that I use the spec fluid. So can you just honor the warranty please?'

Honda: 'I'm sorry sir but our mechanic has inspected the motorcycle and determined that the incorrect fluid contributed to the failure.'

Me: 'Dang, and my message bro said that it was OK and I really wanted to save the $12!'.

Honda: ' That's nice sir, can we interest you in a $1000+ repair bill, or how about this nice new 2018 model over here?'

Me: 'Gee, thanks Honda, and thanks Maverickfhs, my message board bro!'

The moral of the story here is that even if the off spec stuff would actually really be fine, what you've done by using it is given the OEM an excuse or justification for denying a warranty claim. In an effort to save $12....
crazy2.gif

And if it's out of warranty, you could still make the claim that the off spec would be OK but you would have exactly zero justification by which to support you assertion.

Maverickfhs, 'bro', it's $12.
Do it right.
Put the right stuff in.

Originally Posted By: maverickfhs
Will follow the recommendation and use 80W, that's what manual recommends. Thanks all.

There, now wasn't that easy!?!
thumbsup2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back