2008 Mercury 90hp 4-stroke outboard EFI

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: DoubleWasp
Originally Posted By: irv
FC-W is not a magic formula. FC-W is more like that sign that says "You must be this tall to enter this ride".

There is no special ingredients or amounts in FC-W oil. Uses the same building blocks as a'll oils. FC-W testing is just verification that it meets certain standards.

Corrosion inhibitors and shear resistance are extraordinarily common themes in motor oils for reasons other than marine use. HDEOs in particular get enough engineering and fortification for both factors due to their own extreme environments.

This is why when it comes to marine diesels, you never hear jack about FC-W. Some of these engines are clocking decades of operation without ever having seen a drop of FC-W oil.

FC-W is an OK verification system of properties, but hardly an exclusive club where only the named can perform the task.

You could be right, but anything I have ever read said the use of Automotive engine oil should not be used in marine engines.
https://www.boatingmag.com/how-marine-oil-made

Also, I don't believe comparing diesel oils to gassers is an apples to apples comparison, but that's just my opinion.

The statement not to use automotive oils in marine engines is good solid advice, but only in the sense that following this advice is 100% fool proof in preventing an unworthy oil from entering a marine engine. It's also the exact advice I would give to someone who just doesn't know engines.

It does not mean that all land oils are unworthy.

Talk to some gas charter boat operators, and I bet they have some ungodly amount of hours on engines they are running on Rotella HDEO.

I know a most of the big HP powerboat guys are running racing oils for land engines. Schaeffer and VR1 being the two biggest names in play.

You are correct that diesel engines are not apples to apples. The reason why is because shear and corrosion limits are already a part of almost every land diesel engine certification and spec out there, and almost all exceed the spec of FC-W.

HDEO is always spec'd according to the diesel engine out there getting beat to death, doing the absolute worst job in the worst conditions. They're thinking about that pump or generator that's going to be started in subzero, slammed to WOT, and then run for days, or that slasher that's going to be slamming over piles of logs in a 100+ degree rain forest. By the time marine usage comes into play, the engineers are practically shrugging their shoulders with palms turned up.

Are we talking about marine auto type engines/big blocks or outboards?

I am referring to outboards myself, like in the OP's original posts.

Outboards, like stated earlier are different animals. Charter guys likely use their engines daily or almost daily throughout the season and big H/P type guys likely rebuild their engines annually or at least semi-annually.

I know with my bud's old big block, blown 468 jet boat, he ran Brad Penn oil in it but that boat was pulled after every weekend and rebuilt every year. Different animal/different comparison.

Personally, I'm not one to get all caught up in marketing claims and the hype that one normally sees with regards to engine oil, but when it comes to having warranty coverage, I will always run what is recommended until at least that time is up.

Also, I don't do the engine mtce on my boat as far as oil/filter/lower unit fluid changes go. It makes more sense for me money wise just to have the marina where I purchased and store my boat to do that for me. They use Merc oil in my boat and have since new, obviously, but even if I was to do this myself, I would still most certainly use the recommended marine oil for it.

My bud also uses Merc oil in his 300 Merc that he drag races quite often. He belongs to a few specific type forums that talk/deal with nothing but racing/speed applications, and all, according to him, use Marine based oils as well.

I was talking about both types of gas marine engines.

Where warranty is concerned; not only would I use FC-W oil, I would use the exact oil the manufacturer specified. That's what we do when touching a warranty engine. If we don't just straight up use the manufacturers "service kit" that includes all OEM service parts, it's getting OEM spec plugs, impeller, oil, oil filter(s), fuel filter(s), fuel treatment, grease, and anti-corrosion spray.

With the emissions inboards and sterndrive, we use OEM spec oil there as well because those catalyzed exhaust are WAY too expensive to play any games.

We have multiple clients who request and are clocking well beyond 1500 hours on inboards, sterndrives, and outboards running HDEO lime Rotella. They ask for it by name.

There is exactly nothing wrong with using spec or FC-W oil however. I'd never call someone a "sucker" for putting it in their engine. Some of them are quite pricey, but so is pretty much everything involved in boating and the boat itself in most cases.

Every commercial marine operation I have been to used HDEO in the Gas and the high speed diesel engines.

We have multiple clients who request and are clocking well beyond 1500 hours on inboards, sterndrives, and outboards running HDEO lime Rotella. They ask for it by name.

There is exactly nothing wrong with using spec or FC-W oil however. I'd never call someone a "sucker" for putting it in their engine. Some of them are quite pricey, but so is pretty much everything involved in boating and the boat itself in most cases.

Originally Posted By: CT8
Every commercial marine operation I have been to used HDEO in the Gas and the high speed diesel engines.

HDEO type engine oil is one thing,,,,regular auto engine oil is another.

Rotella is great oil and is highly recommended by a lot of people. When my current stash of Mobil-1 0W40 Euro formula is used up, I will be purchasing Rotella T6 to run in my 4 stroke Yamaha snowmobile.

https://rotella.shell.com/products/full-...6-sae-0w-40.pdf

Originally Posted by FastLane
Just a way for the dealers to make more money

I agree FastLane. I use Mobil 1 synthetic or Castrol Mag synthetic 5-30 or 5-40 and have not had any problems for years.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back