Pennzoil Euro L 5W30 in Two of our Vehicles

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi folks,

About a month ago, I picked up some clearance Pennzoil Platinum Euro L 5W30. I've got two vehicles that use 5W30: 2000 Mazda B3000 3.0L with 92K miles and 2014 Volvo XC90 3.2L with 70K miles. I see from Pennzoil's site that the oil is for use in both diesel and gasoline engines. Is there any concern with using it in either vehicle? I tend to do 5K OCI in the Mazda truck and 7.5K OCI in the Volvo.

Thanks very much,
'fooz

There have been several threads on Platinum Euro L 5W30 and, being a low SAPS/TBN oil, it's not generally recommended for extended OCIs in gas cars. To be safe, I would limit OCIs to 5,000 miles because of TBN depletion due to the high sulphur content in U.S. gas.

Originally Posted By: turnbowm
There have been several threads on Platinum Euro L 5W30 and, being a low SAPS/TBN oil, it's not generally recommended for extended OCIs in gas cars. To be safe, I would limit OCIs to 5,000 miles because of TBN depletion due to the high sulphur content in U.S. gas.

High sulphur? Tier 3 standards went into place last year limiting US gasoline to 10ppm, same as the Euro standards in place since 2009 and California in 2006

Originally Posted By: LotI
Originally Posted By: turnbowm

High sulphur? Tier 3 standards went into place last year limiting US gasoline to 10ppm, same as the Euro standards in place since 2009 and California in 2006

Tier 3 standards will not be fully implemented until 2025...

http://www.meca.org/regulation/epa-tier-3-and-california-lev-iii-rulemakings

^^While true, your premium fuels will be at or very close to 10ppm sulphur.

it's a great oil, rest easy. I use the global equivalent (SHU 5W30 ECT C3) in my Saab 9-5 turbo. keeps the sludge at bay.

Regards
Jordan

Originally Posted By: harfooz
Hi folks,

About a month ago, I picked up some clearance Pennzoil Platinum Euro L 5W30. I've got two vehicles that use 5W30: 2000 Mazda B3000 3.0L with 92K miles and 2014 Volvo XC90 3.2L with 70K miles. I see from Pennzoil's site that the oil is for use in both diesel and gasoline engines. Is there any concern with using it in either vehicle? I tend to do 5K OCI in the Mazda truck and 7.5K OCI in the Volvo.

Thanks very much,
'fooz

I grabbed two jugs for $14 each and a few PP 0w40 quarts so I can do two 6 quart OCI’s in 2010 5.3L … figured it should do 7k which is almost a year in GMC (our least driven vehicle, does a bit of towing and hauling) …

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back