Mystery Oil

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zee09

$200 Site Donor 2023
Any thoughts
smile.gif

Well its not NAKED MMO, masybe oil with MMO in it though, the phos is off the charts "Illegal"

Maybe a Trailer Trash Frankenbrew with 75w90 gear oil, Mobil_1 5w30 and MMO
smile.gif

Last edited:
Well, based off the cSt 100C being 9.4 I'd say a heavy 5w20 weight oil or a light 5w30 weight oil.. but without the cSt 40C number, it's hard to say..

Good Moly and Boron numbers ... but that Phosphorus figure.. WHOAH.. That's not any kind of standard motor oil that I can think of. Heck, that's even 3x what HDEOs are allowed

Rustproofing/penetrating oil? Some of the older rustproofing/penetrating oils had a large amount of phos to attack rust scale and moly for friction reduction.

i would not run it in any modern engine for sure.
shocked.gif

Originally Posted By: Virtus_Probi
Strange to me that the phosphorus is so high and the zinc is not, suggests to me it is not motor oil.

That was my thought as well. Maybe an antiwear hydraulic fluid?

cSt puts it at a 20 weight though, would hydraulic fluid be that thick? Could it be a turbine oil?

Originally Posted By: LoneRanger
cSt puts it at a 20 weight though, would hydraulic fluid be that thick? Could it be a turbine oil?

Depending on the VI, an ISO 68 to ISO 100 hydraulic fluid could easily have a 100C vis at 9.4 cSt.

I may be wrong about this since it's out of my area, but I don't think a turbine oil would have the zinc in it.

Neutral or not, if any of it gets into the combustion chamber and burned, it's going to find its way into the Cat.. and that means someone's going to have a bad time.

Has me wondering as a Trib I know who has been at it for 38 years said that the neutral non acidic phosphorus would have no effect on cats and said this was probably a heavy 20 specially made for the company. He said he would have no issue using this in a new car. Me? I don't have it but I'm put off using it in anything because I don't know what it is.But it's not mine.

I'd like to really know why neutral phos would not harm anything.
He told me that it was most likely a boutique oil as there's very few sources for that phos.

It won't make a bit of difference if the phosphorus containing compound is neutral, basic or acidic when it gets into the catalytic converter.

Zee is right about one thing - In a new, naturally aspirated car, I'd say that the phosphorus in this oil will probably not pose a problem as a new engine in good operating order would likely burn little to no oil.

Having said that, I don't think I'd want to risk it.

Originally Posted By: SirTanon
Zee is right about one thing - In a new, naturally aspirated car, I'd say that the phosphorus in this oil will probably not pose a problem as a new engine in good operating order would likely burn little to no oil.

Having said that, I don't think I'd want to risk it.

Thank you and I agree.
Sometimes free isn't such a great thing...

Originally Posted By: kschachn
It won't make a bit of difference if the phosphorus containing compound is neutral, basic or acidic when it gets into the catalytic converter.

I did present that to the Trib guy.
He went into a tirade about he was one of the few that used neutral phosphorus and most people have no clue and the zinc he used was neutral as well and all of these experts are using 1950's motor oil science and the forums are full of idiots and he himself shocked the world. Anytime somebody freaks on you it makes me wonder if they got caught giving bad info. It isn't my forte and I have never come up against an issue like this.

I told my buddy to just give it to someone else. I suspect it has been passed around a bunch.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back