Alignment: loading suspension in sloped driveway

Status
Not open for further replies.
My Maxima and Corolla are FWD and the only easily adjustable alignment spec is the front toe.
I've read that it's best to load the suspension when checking alignment, and I've done it by coming to a stop with the handbrake in the past.
For the next alignment check, I'm thinking of parking the car - front high - in a sloped driveway, putting the tranny in park, not engaging the emergency/parking brake and just letting the car roll back a tiny bit - stopping by the tranny lock teeth. This should have the same effect on toe as driving trying to overcome air drag. Then measure away (and hope for 0 toe).
What do you think?

You are putting an unknown load on the front steering/suspension doing it as you suggested. Who know what the results will be?

I would not put any load on the front wheels if you are adjust the toe in/out. Leave the transmission in neutral and let the rear wheels hold the car in place. Use the chocks on the rear wheels or the parking brake.

You will adjust it to have a little toe out in this configuration, just like the book says.

All manufacturers require the car to be on a level surface when doing the alignment. All cars have their own specs too and the suspension must be in a relaxed state, among many other things.

You don't have the ability to unbind the suspension when on a driveway so don't waste your time.

Most modern alignments on HUNTERS I have gotten have been poor and I had to retouch in the DW. So whats worng with the system? Tires ?Calibration? Operator? Nitrogen struts? or all of the preceding? I've seen racks HUNTER) B4 and After cal printouts and they have been TERRIBLY out. This is a RACK calibration, NOT chassis B4 and after. I thought the laser system was somehow self compensating self calibrating. Had good alignments with the old BAER (BEAR) String systems.

Id say try it and report back. You may find BIG toe differences on suspension with worn bushings. I find most cheap mac strut cars front ends to be absolute, unsafe garbage .. WHEN NEW.

AND I' 1/2 Scot and saying this!

Level surface, no suspension load except you may opt to put a body of similar weight to you or substitute some appropriate weight (how much rice can you eat?) in the driver's seat if the normal mode of operation is single driver / no passenger.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back