Getting rear ended worked out!

Status
Not open for further replies.
A distracted young lady rear ended me at a stop light about 3 weeks ago, annoyingly, so I brought the Volt in to have Geico check it out. There was very minimal damage, just some scuffing, although there's several other scrapes on the bumper.

The saving grace: my car got hit at work right after I got it. It was parked on the street, no one saw anything, but it deeply scraped the side of the bumper. Lucky me, Geico is paying to repair the entire thing! They even gave me a $100 credit, paid to me, because I said they could reuse the lower plastic valance that has one tiny blemish on it.

I'll enjoy driving around in a rental for a few days while my local body shop fixes her up. Thanks Geico!

Last edited:
If you have anything go through your insurance for any reason, your fault or not, it's common to raise rates after 2 no fault incidents.

I got rear ended at a parking lot outlet a couple of years ago. got the guys insurance co and policy number name and address. Called his company (Progressive) and informed them. Did not call the cops, took some pics but really minimal damage from the outside.

Progressive contacted me right away and got all the details. Then arranged for a the car to be repaired and a rental for a week all at no cost to me. It worked great.

Originally Posted By: SatinSilver
Depends on his insurance company and whether they even know about the accidents.

There is a central date base all insurance companies use to know your claim history. Both your auto accidents and any homeowners claim. They even can see the amount of said claim.

And-yes your rates can be raised (depending on the insurance company) for being involved in an accident even if it's not your fault.

I hear the term used because you had two (or more) non-fault accidents you have a preponderance to get in to accidents. Hence-higher rates.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: skyactiv
If you have anything go through your insurance for any reason, your fault or not, it's common to raise rates after 2 no fault incidents.

Even 1.

I was rear-ended a few months ago, and mine went up slightly as a result. Anything insurance companies see as a risk that causes them to potentially have to pay out will increase rates. Everything is stored in databases that are accessed by other insurance companies as well.

Any word on ANY STATES' legislatures proposing a law whereby ANY and ALL trips to body shops are to be reported to this data base?

I have a vague recollection of it in NY, NJ or CT. It never got passed as I recall.

Also, from the OP, "Lucky me, Geico is paying to repair the entire thing!" Insurance Fraud, the crime we all pay for!

Originally Posted By: Kira
Any word on ANY STATES' legislatures proposing a law whereby ANY and ALL trips to body shops are to be reported to this data base?

I have a vague recollection of it in NY, NJ or CT. It never got passed as I recall.

Also, from the OP, "Lucky me, Geico is paying to repair the entire thing!" Insurance Fraud, the crime we all pay for!
How else are they going to repair the damage to his bumper? They are NOT going to paint half of his bumper now are they. Sheesh, There's always one in the crowd.

Originally Posted By: Kira

Fraud? I never claimed that the damage on the side was their responsibility. He asked me about it directly, and I told him it was previous damage. All he said was that they wouldn't cover repairing the slight warp in the bumper, which is totally fine. I'll throw my body guy an extra $75 to smooth it out before they spray it.

I had a scratch beforehand on my Sonata's bumper and got rear-ended, they replaced the bumper. Lucky me!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back