Ravenol vs. Redline / for M cars

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not bad at all, young non oil producing company just blenders but they seem to produce a good product. Top shelf is Castrol, Shell, Mobil 1, the high end full synthetics from LM, Total, Agip, Fuchs, Addinol, etc are also good and of course OE oils.
There are lots of others like Aral, DEA, Jet, etc which are just re-bottled major brands.

Originally Posted By: Trav

These big companies are well respected and not likely to fiddle with the data and really get the spec approvals.

I’m struggling a bit with this in light of Mobil’s failure to meet spec when tested, in recent years. First it was their top-price synthetic PCMO, now it’s their HDMO.

Originally Posted By: Trav
That may be true but I figure why bother with second stringers when you can have top shelf in the same store.

I think they're marketing strategy is working, given the attention they've gotten here on BITOG lately versus what they did even a couple years ago. Of course, if their formulations, pricing, and availability are all good, I'm happy with that. From a marketing standpoint, I'm always happy to see another actual automotive brand get involved in F1 sponsorship and fuel/lubricant supply.

If a company wants to improve their products and standing, I'm all for it. If it's a shell game, they'll be found wanting in short order.

Most of redline's lineup up is real synthetic chalked full of aw/ap additves. Dude that is the largest threat to this forum's interest, lol. Of course you will get nothing but ignorant hate in a thread like this. Only as of late has Redline delved into the low ash oem stuff and likely soon to be a gf-5 or 6 offering. If they didn't ignor low ash they wont ignor lspi as the industry is heading towards di's. Most of Ravenol's stuff isn't pao based, so unless you get like the one or two items from them it is group 3. of course the real hard oil guys who just love oil would recommend some random group 3 over pao/esters, Lol. This place has gone to the dogs, you know the answer, redline true quality. Quiets more loud engines then kardashian has had lovers, kills engine ticks everyday because guess what YOU CANT FAKE IT. Ram Forum 6 years of testing, nothing like this stuff. Sorry I'm not more PC, then I could have a line of BIITOG friends. You just can't fake it, your engine will let you know.

Originally Posted By: burla
Most of redline's lineup up is real synthetic chalked full of aw/ap additves. Dude that is the largest threat to this forum's interest, lol. Of course you will get nothing but ignorant hate in a thread like this. Only as of late has Redline delved into the low ash oem stuff and likely soon to be a gf-5 or 6 offering. If they didn't ignor low ash they wont ignor lspi as the industry is heading towards di's. Most of Ravenol's stuff isn't pao based, so unless you get like the one or two items from them it is group 3. of course the real hard oil guys who just love oil would recommend some random group 3 over pao/esters, Lol. This place has gone to the dogs, you know the answer, redline true quality. Quiets more loud engines then kardashian has had lovers, kills engine ticks everyday because guess what YOU CANT FAKE IT. Ram Forum 6 years of testing, nothing like this stuff. Sorry I'm not more PC, then I could have a line of BIITOG friends. You just can't fake it, your engine will let you know.

Clone attack

Originally Posted By: PimTac

Clone attack

Truth hurts. Don't hate the player, hate the game.

Last edited:
I don't want an engine oil that just had everything but the kitchen sink thrown at it. I want one that was judiciously formulated for my application. Maybe that's just me.

Thanks !
Do you have a link to the Ram Forum you mention?
Would love to read that testimony! (good stuff!)

Could you please help me to check if the following Ravenol oil is PAO based full synthetic one?
Appreciate your help!

Ravenol VMP 5W-30

Originally Posted By: aleneros

Could you please help me to check if the following Ravenol oil is PAO based full synthetic one?
Appreciate your help!

Ravenol VMP 5W-30

Yes. It's PAO, Grp IV and V full synthetic. The good stuff.

If it's a German oil and says "vollsynthetishes" on the label then it is a true synthetic. If it says HC synthesis it is group III based.

Originally Posted by burla

retread

love it

I'd strongly suggest researching on Ravenol history - who started the company, how, when and where products are actually produced.

After I learned all that I personally will be avoiding all Ravenol products.

Originally Posted by dubber09
I'd strongly suggest researching on Ravenol history - who started the company, how, when and where products are actually produced.

After I learned all that I personally will be avoiding all Ravenol products.

Instead of making vague references to some sort of dubious past, how about you just state what bothers you?

Their website states:
Originally Posted by Ravenol
RAVENOL is the brand name of the Ravensberger Schmierstoffvertrieb GmbH which was founded in 1946 in the small town of Werther in Westphalia by Hans Triebel. Initially the company restricted its activities to the manufacture and sale of monograde engine oils and a selection of industrial cleaning products.

The company is still based in Werther, more than 70 years later now, which is where the products are produced.

Redline for differentials etc. is OK. Their marketing of Professional series is for me serious offense, so I am sketchy about their products for engines since under Phillips66. I put their 75W85 in my Sienna Transfer case and rear diff. but that is it. Would use them for 328i xDrive front and rear diff. and that is it.
Ravenol? IMO not worth the money. What are we getting comapred to Pennzoil 5W40 or Castrol 0W40 or 0W30? Castrol 0W40, 0W30, TWS etc. are consistent performers regardless of PAO content etc.
I think Mobil1 ESP Formula 5W30 was case in point that final product is what matters not how much GR III, IV or V there is in the oil.

Originally Posted by edyvw

Ravenol? IMO not worth the money. What are we getting comapred to Pennzoil 5W40 or Castrol 0W40 or 0W30? Castrol 0W40, 0W30, TWS etc. are consistent performers regardless of PAO content etc.
I think Mobil1 ESP Formula 5W30 was case in point that final product is what matters not how much GR III, IV or V there is in the oil.

In my case, you are getting the Chrysler SRT approval, which Castrol and Mobil don't carry, and of course you are also getting the PAO content and a very different additive system using Tungsten. Whether that's better or not? Dunno
21.gif
I bought my first batch of it on Amazon using points I had accrued and the 2nd batch from Blauparts when they were having a sale, so for me Ravenol hasn't been expensive.

Redline for differentials etc. is OK. Their marketing of Professional series is for me serious offense, so I am sketchy about their products for engines since under Phillips66. I put their 75W85 in my Sienna Transfer case and rear diff. but that is it. Would use them for 328i xDrive front and rear diff. and that is it.

Isn't that what that obnoxiuos helpful Midwesterner hammers everyday on BITOG? - Approvals!

Originally Posted by OilReport99

Isn't that what that obnoxiuos helpful Midwesterner hammers everyday on BITOG? - Approvals!
[/quote
Originally Posted by OVERKILL
edyvw said:

In my case, you are getting the Chrysler SRT approval, which Castrol and Mobil don't carry, and of course you are also getting the PAO content and a very different additive system using Tungsten. Whether that's better or not? Dunno
21.gif
I bought my first batch of it on Amazon using points I had accrued and the 2nd batch from Blauparts when they were having a sale, so for me Ravenol hasn't been expensive.

OK, however I am trying to see value here. I am all up for lower NOACK, high HTHS, low KV100. So yeah, maybe if several UOA are turned exemplary with good TBN retention in known diluters etc. maybe. Just trying to figure out value compared to known performers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back