Bad Discount Tire experience

Status
Not open for further replies.
I sent my son over to DT to get a right rear flat fixed/replaced as he'd driven it around low too long. To my surprise, he returned with three new Ohtsu tires. The salesman at DT told him that the fronts were worn and needed replacing. They wanted to replace all 4, but he balked at that. So now I have three cheap, low-end tires and one Altimax RT43, with a mix of Ohtsu and Altimax on the rear axle. Since the fronts (also RT43s) had almost exactly 18,000 miles on them, I went in the next morning to find out what happened. They told me that the old tires were already gone, but the fronts were worn to 4/32nds on the shoulder and 5/32nds on the center. I have to say I'm skeptical about that, but I suppose its possible in only 18K miles. The other rear RT43 is at 8/32nds, same mileage. The car is a 2000 Volvo S80 T6 I inherited, so its heavy and powerful, and probably does wear front tires quickly. Still, even taking them at their word, two worn, but far from worn out RT43s are on the way to the shredder and I have a mishmash of three cheap tires and one almost new RT43 on the car. Not to mention the $$ out the door. Great. I'll probably need to replace the Ohtsu's by Christmas if the Generals wore that fast.

The store manager's response to my complaint was "what do you want me to do about it?" I think I wanted the bad tire replaced, preferably with another RT43, the fronts rotated to the back and have them not take advantage of my son, who's not a car guy, and sell him three bottom tier tires. He never stopped typing on his computer while talking to me. What's done is done.

I've gone to this DT store for over 10 years and bought dozens of tires from them and always been satisfied and treated fairly. But my takeaway from this is that, for whatever reason, all they wanted to do was get a sale and thereby unload a few odd size 225/50-17 tires from inventory. I used to have no hesitation sending people to DT, because I thought they'd get the right tires at a decent price and be treated fairly. Not anymore. Maybe the kid should have pushed back, but he shouldn't have to. He needed one tire replaced. He didn't need to be upsold unneeded, inferior tires. I won't be back except for the free rotations, I'm sorry to say

Originally Posted By: dwgwater
They wanted to replace all 4, but he balked at that. So now I have three cheap, low-end tires and one Altimax RT43, with a mix of Ohtsu and Altimax on the rear axle.

I thought the new tires always went on the rear as a safety thing?

Hard to comment. You painted an understandably bad picture of the tire store.
The only questions we can ask center around your son being able to go to a tire store. Did you send a lamb to slaughter?
...or being gullible. Is he so?
...or simply not caring. The keyboard reference made him sound a little detached from the situation.

Chalk it up to experience, and teach your son from it. Let corporate know. Then take your business elsewhere and let it be known. Not much else you can do now.

I don't see anything wrong here.

Your son consented to all of the work. They could have sold him whatever set of tire he wanted, too.

I'm failing to see how the blame can be placed on DT

Originally Posted By: demarpaint
Chalk it up to experience, and teach your son from it. Let corporate know. Then take your business elsewhere and let it be known. Not much else you can do now.
This

Did you ask if they will exchange them for a different tire? Obviously you'll need to pay the difference.

I doubt they just offered your son 3 of the cheapest tire they sell, it sounds like he was trying to get out of there as cheaply as possible.

Did he pay for the tires or did you?

So your son doesn't own a cell phone to call you and explain the situation?

If he does own a cell phone and i didn't call.......well.......

With that being said-I bet if you call corporate that they may be able to do something to give you a sense of satisfaction.

Last edited:
Kind of reminds me of when I sent my 15 year old nephew into the store to buy $2 Butterball turkey burgers on sale. And he comes out with $6 ground round. I said, where are the turkey burgers? I knew I should have gone in there but oh well. Chalk it up.

Besides those tires aren't all that bad. Prob pretty equal to the RT43. On DTD website those tires are the 7th cheapest they have. The tread looks good. He could have done much worse. Not only buying the cheapest but also paying too much on el-premo tires.

Originally Posted By: Kira
Did you send a lamb to slaughter?

Coming in for a single tire and then someone trying to sell you a set is a dead giveaway that you should get tough or just bail. They saw a juicy mark and took 75% advantage of him. If he is an adult, you should forget about corporate and dial your own number and complain.

Originally Posted By: SatinSilver
Kind of reminds me of when I sent my 15 year old nephew into the store to buy $2 Butterball turkey burgers on sale. And he comes out with $6 ground round. I said, where are the turkey burgers? I knew I should have gone in there but oh well. Chalk it up.

Besides those tires aren't all that bad. Prob pretty equal to the RT43.

If I was the OP I would call Corporate and ask for a 4th tire to match the rest of the three at no-charge. And keep the RT 43 as an extra tire. Don't know why you would want two different brands on a car. That's what I would do.

Last edited:
That's what they, DT wanted to do initially but that was declined by the son. So not sure why corporate should be called. Usually I'm the first to call corporate on something if it warrants it.

How old is the son anyway? The DT store here stocks some used tires, which kind of tells you something. So the OP can always call up the store to see if they have any used tires in that size. To check if they're holding them in back.

My takeaways here...

- Discount Tire, like pretty much all corporate tire chains, is very mindful of safety. If the fronts looked worn to the point that they weren't safe, they would definitely end up pushing to replace them strictly to make sure that the car would be safe to drive and your son safe.

- Your son, if young, probably does not have the experience to deal with this kind of response, and so believed them at face value. I'd wager that he also was not prepared to spend much money, so they arrived at the very cheap end of the spectrum as a result.

- You mentioned the one tire had gone flat "as he'd driven it around low too long". I have to wonder what kind of premature wear/damage that this could have caused to the tire, and if that raised a red flag for the DT personnel in regards to the potential condition of the remaining tires. This would definitely have put them into 'safety first' mode.

Could they have let him go with the 4/32 and 5/32 tires on the car? Yeah, most likely, especially if he had pushed back hard enough, but that probably wouldn't have been the best decision, and I'd wager he would not have been comfortable pushing back that hard.

Even if he had, I'd still expect that the one tire that was flat was probably going to be replaced, no matter what.

I've run Ohtsu tires in the past. They're not the best, but they're passable.. although I don't think I'd want them on a car like that one. Take it back to the DT, talk with the manager, express your concerns and tell him you'd like different tires. I'd say the odds are good he'll work with you to get something better on there.

DT did nothing wrong,they sold him tires,which is what they’re in the business of doing. He just needs to learn to say “no”.

But my takeaway from this is that, for whatever reason, all they wanted to do was get a sale and thereby unload a few odd size 225/50-17 tires from inventory.

The local store has almost a dozen of an Ohtsu tire in that size in stock (at $69). It shows that nearby stores have a lot of these too. I think your "takeaway" is grasping for an excuse or way to blame them but it's wrong. It sure looks to be a common tire and inexpensive. Sounds like your son made a decision for cost reasons. DT appears to have documented the tire's conditions too. You dispute it while acknowledging that you don't know the actual condition of your tires....

But my takeaway from this is that, for whatever reason, all they wanted to do was get a sale and thereby unload a few odd size 225/50-17 tires from inventory.

I just saw this part. 225/50-17 tires are hardly an "odd size". They're actually pretty common. Heck, just taking into account the number of Fusions on the road with 17" wheels, that's hundreds of thousands of vehicles that would take that size tire, stock. Add to that Accords with 17" wheels, etc.. and you're going to end up well over a million potential vehicles for that size tire.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back