how bad is using Mobil 15w50 in lawnmower, snowblower, etc?

Status
Not open for further replies.
a friend moved and gave me 3 or 4 qts of mobil 15w50 synthetic. One is the old tri-syn formula and the others are the newer super-syn stuff. It's been sitting on my shelf now for 5 months, and I want to get rid of it. Would using it in the briggs or tecumseh or honda motors, which call for regular 30wt, on the lawnmowers and snowblower be ok?

if not, what can I use this stuff in? how about a late 80's honda CB900 (900cc) motorcycle?

Air cooled engines have higher demands on oil due to the higher operating temperature of the oil.Synthetic oil by design can stand up to higher heat.So Synthetic oils are a perfect application in air cooled engines.

I wouldn't run this oil in any air cooled engine, or motorcycle at that.

Considering that this is an API SL oil you shouldn't run it in anything other than a car. It will not provide the protection you need on your lawn mower or snow blower. The additives may not be wet clutch compatable for your motorcycle, and once again, even if they were, you won't get the high levels of additives that a motorcycle engine requires.

The 15w-50 does not contain the friction modifiers that 5/10w-30 oils do. it will work Fine in your equipment. it will provide all teh protection your air-cooled engine demands.
rolleyes.gif

Like Steve S, I think this is an excellent choice for your air cooled small engine. I think it's a bit over-engineered and I don't leave any oil in any of my lawn & garden long enough to see the advantages of a full synthetic, though. I use a synthetic blend or a 15W40 for these applications.

medic: "(M1 15W50) will not provide the protection you need on your lawn mower or snow blower."

Um, I understand about some cycles being awful picky because of their clutches ... but a lawn mower or snow blower engine needing a drastically different additive package than a car's engine?
rolleyes.gif

Those things will get buy on almost anything.

Sorry, but you lost me.
dunno.gif

--- Bror Jace

I"d run it in the bike and run Mobil 1, 10w-30 in the lawnmowers. I think the 15w-50 is too thick for those, unless they are severely worn engines.

M1, 15w-50 works fine in wet clutch bikes ....

TooSlick

i only asked because I have 4 new quarts of mobil1 15w50 and I want to get rid of it. I was seriously thinking of just dumping the stuff, because I won't put it in my car or in my diesel. Now that I think about it, maybe I'll run it in the boats this summer. I just want to get rid of it, so that's why I asked about using it in the lawnmower & snowblower. My only concern there was using a 15w50 in a small engine that calls for a 30wt oil.

Mix it with M1 5W30 SS and use it for the Mowers.

The 50 weight alone is too thick for the air-cooled engines in mowers.

This way, you'll have approx. a 10W40. 40 weight is as high as one should go.

[ April 08, 2003, 06:31 PM: Message edited by: MolaKule ]

quote:

Originally posted by Bror Jace:
Like Steve S, Um, I understand about some cycles being awful picky because of their clutches ... but a lawn mower or snow blower engine needing a drastically different additive package than a car's engine?
rolleyes.gif

Those things will get buy on almost anything.

Sorry, but you lost me.
dunno.gif

--- Bror Jace

Sorry,
dunno.gif
I guess I should learn to read better. I never saw the 15w-50
pat.gif
. I assumed this was a thinner oil without the high levels of additives. My mistake.

I would run this stuff in a air cooled engine prior to running the M1 m/c oil.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back