Eric The Car Guy's Mobil 1 AP Test

Status
Not open for further replies.
What did you think of Eric The Car Guy's sponsored M1 AP test?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wm_KIjt85eQ

UOA at 2:10 min

It looks pretty impressive considering it's a run of 18,000 miles. However it does return 8 ppm Lead suggesting there is a little bit higher wear. The previous report had no Lead. Neither the lab or the M1 rep commented on this. Do you think it's a problem or no big deal?

Either way I am impressed Mobil came out with this product considering the customer sentiment about extended OCIs. I wonder if they made a mistake or are OCIs only getting longer and it's better to be on the forefront? They could have went the Redline and Royal Purple route and marketed a PERFORMANCE oil instead.

I've made my distaste for Mobil clear on this forum and for the time being no Mobil will end up in ANY of my vehicles. That said, Eric the Car Guy's results are decent and I'm sure he will never have a problem with his engine in that application if he uses M1 AP and changes it on a yearly basis. I'm not saying M1 sucks or that M1 AP is a bad product, it's just not for everyone.

Last edited:
I'd be more interested in the results next year. It is usually best to do a UOA on the second run [some will say the third run] with the product you plan on testing. This way the prior brand of oil is totally removed from the system. Also the air filter change might have impacted results. Other than that the results were OK. I'd never run an oil, any oil for close to 19K miles, and I'd never buy a used car from anyone who ran oil that long.
49.gif

I like Mobil 1 its been great for my Toyota but frankly no oil is $40 to $50 great for me. I'll keep buying full synthetic near or below $20 a jug with a rebate. Until these $50 a Jug oils start producing 600,000 miles cars as the norm I'm not going there.

Great oil. I believe what the Mobil engineer said is correct. Outstanding viscosity control. Oil still had life left.

Originally Posted By: demarpaint
I'd be more interested in the results next year. It is usually best to do a UOA on the second run [some will say the third run] with the product you plan on testing. This way the prior brand of oil is totally removed from the system. Also the air filter change might have impacted results. Other than that the results were OK. I'd never run an oil, any oil for close to 19K miles, and I'd never buy a used car from anyone who ran oil that long.
49.gif

+1

I subscribe to his YouTube channel. But there is something about this particular YouTube that doesn’t sit well with me.
I used to really trust what he said but now.....umm...I don’t feel the same way about his opinions.

Originally Posted By: dogememe
I've made my distaste for Mobil clear on this forum and for the time being no Mobil will end up in ANY of my vehicles. That said, Eric the Car Guy's results are decent and I'm sure he will never have a problem with his engine in that application if he uses M1 AP and changes it on a yearly basis. I'm not saying M1 sucks or that M1 AP is a bad product, it's just not for everyone.

Good enough for factory fill for Corvettes.........

Unbelievable.....the eccentricities on this forum.

In my experience a UOA cannot tell you if sludge/deposits are starting to form in the engine. So if he keeps running oil this long he may run into problems.

Current Walmart everyday price is $39.88. Vanilla M1 is $22.88. Obviously, one would need a 20k rated filter, but ones time has to be worth something too.. Who enjoys changing oil anyways?
laugh.gif

I agree with the top (*first) YT comment only if oil is needed between changes. If there's zero consumption, and if 20k can be stretched out of it, that's pretty dog gone good to me. 5+ quart sumps make the deal a tad less desirable to me but I just don't like having left overs either.

For someone like Tig1 who religiously does 10k intervals, this oil is perfect. If somebody finds themselves needing a quart every 5k, then this probably isn't the oil for them.

Now we need a UOA of a year run in a turbo'd engine.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: WobblyElvis
In my experience a UOA cannot tell you if sludge/deposits are starting to form in the engine. So if he keeps running oil this long he may run into problems.

Oxidation resistance is one of the best ways to avoid deposits. Using the most oxidation resistant base oils/AO’s/detergents and dispersants all play a role.

This is why Mobil showed this graph:

I bought M1 5W30 AP when it was the only oil in that grade at my WM that actually had a dexos1 Gen 2 license...didn't have that logo, but the license number itself was for the updated standard. The shelf price was about $40, but there was a rebate going on and the bottle also had a sticker for a $10 WM gift card that was as good as cash to me (I always need soap, deodorant, cat litter, and other necessities from WM).

Now that d1G2 is common and there are no more gift card offers for AP at WM, I'm not very likely to buy it. The VOA from the PQIA showed a fairly low NOACK loss but the cold performance was not as good as what I've seen in the past for regular M1.

Originally Posted By: demarpaint
49.gif

If the car you bought had been running M1 for it's life then the internals would be very clean and you would think this engine was well cared for.

No lead in the previous UOA and high lead in the extended-OCI UOA means the oil failed during the extended OCI. TAN went through the roof, which caused the lead corrosion. So much with the M1 AP. Thumbs down. Their Ca - Mg detergent is not that good after all and neither is their base oil (40 - 50% GTL) but probably the main problem was the detergent failing and the TAN increasing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back