Castrol or M1 Euro 0W-40?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a nice stash of Pennzoil Euro 0W-40 that I can use in either Mercedes. However, I do not have enough of a stash for both.

With that in mind, would you go for Castrol Euro 0W-40 on special at Amazon ($19.65 per 5qt jug to the door) now or just buy M1 Euro 0W-40 at normal Walmart prices ($24.76 + have to pick up)?

I tend to think that Castrol Euro is better than M1. What do you gals and guys think?

Originally Posted By: maxdustington
Castrol is superior. Latest reformulation M1 0W40 lost certs: BMW LL-01 if I am correct.
do you realize that LL-04 does everything that LL-01 does, and more? It's like saying that Honda sucks for not making 1989 Civic anymore. Or BMW sucks for not making the E30 anymore.
Basically LL-04 is improved LL-01, according to this chart.

P.S. And yes, I would take Castrol 0w40 over Mobil1 0W-40 any day.

Originally Posted By: 2015_PSD
I have a nice stash of Pennzoil Euro 0W-40 that I can use in either Mercedes. However, I do not have enough of a stash for both.

With that in mind, would you go for Castrol Euro 0W-40 on special at Amazon ($19.65 per 5qt jug to the door) now or just buy M1 Euro 0W-40 at normal Walmart prices ($24.76 + have to pick up)?

I tend to think that Castrol Euro is better than M1. What do you gals and guys think?

If both oils carry the approvals you need, I don't think either will be noticeably superior. Or at least, there's no evidence that either is superior.

I'd go for the Castrol on price and convenience. Otherwise, pick your poison.

Castrol is superior. Latest reformulation M1 0W40 lost certs: BMW LL-01 if I am correct.

I wouldn’t says it’s superior as it still meets the tough 229.5, A40, and 502 00 specs for gassers.

I feel corporate politics played a role in Mobil losing favor with BMW. In the US, the OE’s are still assuming we’re using higher sulfur gas so they don’t recommend 504 00, 229.7, LL-04 et al. If you are changing at less than the recommended interval than go for the Euro specs.

Personally I scored at WM and am sitting on 27qts of PPE so I’m not rushing to buy.

Originally Posted By: Vladiator
do you realize that LL-04 does everything that LL-01 does, and more? It's like saying that Honda sucks for not making 1989 Civic anymore. Or BMW sucks for not making the E30 anymore.

LL04 is the diesel spec if i remember right much like VW 504/507. A lower starting TBN is the only thing to account for and adjust your OCI accordingly

Which is a great example of why that chart isn't the whole story. LL-04 is a lower ash spec; BMW says it should not be used for gasoline engines in markets where gasoline contains ethanol.

Also, AFAIK, neither of the oils OP asked about carries LL-04.

Originally Posted By: d00df00d

Which is a great example of why that chart isn't the whole story. LL-04 is a lower ash spec; BMW says it should not be used for gasoline engines in markets where gasoline contains ethanol.

Good thing I did my research before making any arrogant comments.

They do suck for not making the 1989 Civic anymore, btw.

BMW says it should not be used for gasoline engines in markets where gasoline contains ethanol.

Then they better stop selling LL-04 in Germany rapid quick, they have E10 available cheaper and a lot of drivers use it.

LL-04 is perfectly acceptable with ethanol fuels and is a replacement for LL-01 in other parts of the world, it is also an SN oil.

https://www.bmwblog.com/2011/03/07/bmw-b...any-and-europe/

http://thealpinaregister.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=14272&start=45

Well I would just wait for Mobil to run their $12 rebate again. I think last year it started August 1st. Only a few weeks away. If the price is the same, then Castrol. If it's half the price, then Mobil. They both have 229.5 specs and Mobil is the recommended oil by Mercedes. If you buy it at the dealer, it's Mobil.

Quite right, I am looking at MB 229.5.

M1 0w40 doesn't have the LL-04 certification either though.

I want to like Castrol. It was the first oil I ran in my beamer when I got it. It burned 2 quarts in 5000 miles. M1 0W40 had burned just a little over half a quart in 5000 miles. It holds some pretty good specs and it's cheaper.

Originally Posted By: MaximaGuy
My MB calls for 229.6 spec and unsure to stick with 5W30/0W40 (here is texas). Any thoughts
My 2018 C300 states either 229.5 or 229.6--it is turbocharged, so I will be using xW-40 (229.5):

My 2018 GLC43 has to use xW-40 only:

I will not stock two different viscosities, it simply makes no sense to do so and since we are in Texas, there is no issue with using the 0W-40. Not that it would matter from the cold perspective anyway with the "0" taking care of that and I would rather have the slightly higher viscosity for the turbo anyway.

Your 2018 GLE calls for either 229.5 (xW-40) or 229.6 (xW-30)--from the GLE owner's manual:

I've used both, with no difference in oil performance according to the UOA. I have 'felt' since my last oil change that the M1 allows the engine to rev a little easier, with startups slightly quicker. No difference in noise, and again UOA's were both fine.

Your 2018 GLE calls for either 229.5 (xW-40) or 229.6 (xW-30)

You are right, it is 229.5/229.6.
My plan is to be on 5W30 for 100K miles and then transition to a 5W40 later on.

Originally Posted By: MaximaGuy
Your 2018 GLE calls for either 229.5 (xW-40) or 229.6 (xW-30)
You are right, it is 229.5/229.6. My plan is to be on 5W30 for 100K miles and then transition to a 5W40 later on.
If the cost is the same (and not sure that it is); what is the benefit? Is your GLE turbocharged?

do you realize that LL-04 does everything that LL-01 does, and more?

They have mutually exclusive requirements, too, so that's not technically true.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back