HVAC Compressor Quit

Status
Not open for further replies.
It is not hard at all to get an EPA license card to legally buy R-22 or other restricted refrigerants. There are companies that do the test online for about $20.

R-410a is also zero ODP meaning anyone can buy it like R-134a.

Last edited:
You can complain about R-22 being politicized, but the reality is it is an ozone depleting refrigerant. Not as bad as others, but it still is regardless. On top of that is the greenhouse gas side if you are into that, guessing by the OP's comments he's not.

Argue what you want on the Greenhouse gas side, but phasing out ozone depleting chemicals is a no brainer (even if factories in China don't agree).

And if the unit is actually 28 years old, I'd be installing a new one and be done with it. That is my plan with my 23 year old unit when something like this comes up...

Easily triggered meanie-greenie, eh?

The reality is refrigerants and many other products have been heavily politicized due to an out-of-control EPA. The facts are there. The discussion is over. The vast majority are paying the price to the elite True Believers in power.

Power Corrupts. Absolute Power Corrupts Absolutely.

BTW, you're not from Texas....

Hold on....there is plenty of scientific evidence, proof and testing that clearly showed HFC are and have been creating a hole in the ozone. Just recently, the hole has gotten way smaller. Clearly a result of the ban on HFC's. I too was a believer that the ozone hole thing was just some garbage that EPA put out and I work for them for a living, but I've seen way too much evidence to suggest otherwise. Not from Texas, but from Oklahoma where it gets pretty dang warm here too. Ironically, I had a very similar problem with my HVAC a few years back whereas the high pressure side had somehow rubbed a hole on itself from rubbing against a metal support rail. Found a good tech and he did a pretty good job welding that part back up. I've had my system checked out a lot since then because I'm terrified it will fail right smack dab in the summer. So much, that I got bought a small window unit to keep at least one bedroom cool when that happens and takes 4-5 days to either fix or just buy a new one. Mine system is a 4 ton Lennox that was built in 1997 with R22. Of all the different AC techs that have been to my house to check my system and all the AC techs that I personally work with as the Air Manager at an army installation, everyone of them have said NOT to use a R22 replacement. Either spill the money on a R22 or just replace the whole system.

Another easily triggered greenie, this time from an EPA employee. I'd gladly argue the point from a planetary science, astrophysics and electro-magnetic background, however I'd be wasting my time with True-Believers. The same who believe that Earth could turn into Venus or even Mars "if something isn't done...NOW!"

4,500,000,000,000 yrs later we can still breathe and go barefoot.

Go debate GW & "the hole" somewhere else as I don't want my thread locked.

I do have a right to blow off some steam as it's currently ~ 90F in my house and has been going on five days now!

Geeze.....

You made an expensive mistake. Own it. Getting mad at the whole world won't help. Because literally the whole world signed the Montreal Protocol.

Originally Posted By: mk378
You made an expensive mistake. Own it. Getting mad at the whole world won't help. Because literally the whole world signed the Montreal Protocol.

Exactly!

Originally Posted By: Schmoe
Of all the different AC techs that have been to my house to check my system and all the AC techs that I personally work with as the Air Manager at an army installation, everyone of them have said NOT to use a R22 replacement. Either spill the money on a R22 or just replace the whole system.

Shame to hear you know so many people that are flat out wrong.
MO99 or NU22 are both acceptable replacements.

Originally Posted By: zzyzzx
Just out of curiosity, when you mention soft solder you are referring to the type used in electronics, and hard solder would the plumbing type, right?

Soft solder was made out of lead.
Not sure what the exact alloy mix is anymore.... but yea, what you are thinking of Plumbers doing.
Doing HVAC work, technically we are not soldering, we are brazing.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: mk378
You made an expensive mistake. Own it.

I think he has owned it and will have to pay the price for it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back