Tons of water being spit out exhaust

Status
Not open for further replies.

FCD

My 1999 Peugeot 106 1.1 is on its last legs.
It starts spitting out tons of water from the cooling system after running for about a minute.
I guess the head gasket is gone? no milkshake in the oil, i wonder how the head gasket has managed to go if for the past half a year it's just been sitting and being started for 5 minutes every week or so, the engine has not gotten hot whatsoever.
Could be just from corrosion as the cooling system is a mess.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U9jt-gl7p3k

Watch until the end to see the puddle of rusty water.

If you do not drive it for at least 20 minutes or more you may be building condensation within the block itself. Running it while sitting still will not elevate the oil temps properly.

Also, I have personally repaired engines that had a head gasket issue without any oil contamination.

Pressure test it soon...

I’d bet money your HG is fine.

You and I have completely different definitions of the word, “tons”...

Every time you ran your engine for such short periods previously you added more water (combustion byproduct) to your exhaust, which never got hot enough to evaporate and remove it. The sitting, acidic condensation caused the rust. You did way more harm than good running your engine, as you describe.

If you’re not losing coolant level (and your exhaust doesn’t smell sweet), carefully take your car out for a drive and, after it warms up, stop and chexk the coolant level (have distilled water on hand, just in case, and don’t go too far away). If all looks well, put some load on the engine by driving on a higher speed roadway for a while. This should evaporate the water and show that you’re not losing coolant, hopefully.

Last edited:
Okay, i could try to go for a longer highway drive and see what it does.
The car is going to be junked anyway because the interior is shot and it has various electrical problems and rust.

Originally Posted By: FordCapriDriver
Okay, i could try to go for a longer highway drive and see what it does.
The car is going to be junked anyway because the interior is shot and it has various electrical problems and rust.

Junked now or sometime in the distant future? Is this concern mostly a curiosity (I.e., you wouldn’t replace the HG, if it was failed) or does it really matter (I.e., you would actually replace the HG, if it has failed), because you need the car for a little while?

Mostly a curiosity yes, i don't intend to spend one penny too much on that car anymore
smile.gif

I will probably "junk" it before the end of the summer.

On short trips, the exhaust pipes and muffler will collect a lot of condensed water. The end product of burning any hydrocarbon fuel is H2O and CO2.

If the water is coming from the cooling system, it will smell like antifreeze.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back